Windows Home Server and itunes

gilga

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking to buy the new Hp media server, but I wanted to make sure that it will do what I am hoping it to do. If it will not any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I want to backup up my 3 home computers in addition I will need to be able to backup my gf's computer which is not on my network. I was hoping to do this over a VPN.

I will need to be able to backup my itunes folder from my main computer and allow my girlfriend to be able to access and play my songs on her PC, (possibly over a VPN?) If this is possible, explanations in regards to setup are greatly appreciated.

Thanks! If there are better or cheaper alternatives, please feel free to add them!

You could try Firefly Media Server. I used it on my WHS to stream iTunes to various computers.

from what I understand the new HP media server has itunes support, but I am unsure what it will exactly allow me to do.

MODS**

If you dont mind, can you please move this thread to the OS section as it may receive more attention there.

i have done tone of research and there seems to be plenty of NAS's that may be able to accomplishe what I am looking for. One thing concerned me is that some of them will only work with non itunes drm files. Referring back to my first post, any more ideas?

After looking at several possibilities, I realize that my biggest goal is in regards to itunes. I want to create a central location on a NAS or a server in which all downloaded/ripped songs are stored. In addition I want any songs that I download or rip will be reflected on my gf's account and any songs that she downloads/rips will be reflected in my account. In effect any changes that are made are reflected on the other itunes account. This will need to work for DRM itunes tracks,.

Does such a device exist or am I better off copying my library to her pc and then using MS sync toy to periodically update any new tracks?

bump, still holding out for a solution/suggestion and believe me i have googled my ass stupid

Here's the solution, Use Amazon MP3 and get better quality, drm free music :p

:rolleyes:

I keep checking this post for responses and I was so disappointed to see a useless one.

Oh well

To make it clear, i am a itunes user and will not be open to using any other music services.

I was just giving you a bump with some advice included.
May I ask why you have such a dedication to Itunes?

synctoy wont work for over network. you can try Rsyc, if not that, then you need to get a script that will do incremental backups.
how fast is your upload/download? if you or her have made a big change in the itunes folder, it COULD take a while to sync...

I was just giving you a bump with some advice included.
May I ask why you have such a dedication to Itunes?

I am sorry, I never should have made that condescending post. I am open to other services and would actually prefer amazon, but due to the fact that my GF will also be using this, I need itunes as she it most familiar with it.

It's your lucky day today since I've had to do the same thing as you. I download/rip all my music on my main computer, but I also want to sync all that music to my storage server and I want to be able to play it over the network, using iTunes, while my main computer is off.

Solution?

The way I have it set up is: I use SyncToy to periodically sync my music to my storage server, I then use daapd on Win2K3 to share the DAA stream across my network. Simple.

I haven't tried Firefly yet and I just might since daapd has some flaws and things I don't like, including being very ugly and commandline based (which I don't mind).

I'm sure that after a bit of tweaking, you could get this same thing to work over a VPN

I am sorry, I never should have made that condescending post. I am open to other services and would actually prefer amazon, but due to the fact that my GF will also be using this, I need itunes as she it most familiar with it.

It's cool, I'm just annoyed after having to deal with Itunes and having music blown all
over my sisters computer along with pictures, documents, etc... Makes reformatting it real easy :p

Back