Windows Home Server disable password to access network shares?

dydx

Limp Gawd
Ive searched everywhere and couldnt find an answer. Im just wondering if anyone knows how to disable the prompt for a username and password each time I try to access a network shared folder on my WHS? Even if I check the box to remember password, after I reboot the client machine, it will still prompt for a user and password.

Im not sure if the settings have to be modified on the server or client side. Ideas?

You can create a .cmd script that creates a cache of a user name and password, then maps the share to a drive letter. Place it in the startup folder then it will run on logon. This is done on the client side. I've used this with clients that must have access to shares on Windows Server computers from XP Home clients.

Code:
net use X: \\ServerName\Share /user:DomainName\UserName password

You can create a .cmd script that creates a cache of a user name and password, then maps the share to a drive letter. Place it in the startup folder then it will run on logon. This is done on the client side. I've used this with clients that must have access to shares on Windows Server computers from XP Home clients.

Code:
net use X: \\ServerName\Share /user:DomainName\UserName password

Thats what I did for my XP clients

But on Vista/win7 it never ask because I have the clients passwords set to the same as a user on the WHS so it just uses your current logon info.

Thats what I did for my XP clients

But on Vista/win7 it never ask because I have the clients passwords set to the same as a user on the WHS so it just uses your current logon info.

Im a bit confused by this. Are you saying to just create a user on the WHS side that has the same name as the user that is logged on from the client side? Ive already done so, but the user on my Vista laptop does not have a password, whereas WHS requires a password.

Strangely, my XP clients can access the shares without a password, it's just the Vista machines I am having this issue with.

Both the user account name and password have to match on both the WHS box and the client systems. I've got a Win7 desktop that uses the same user account name and password and it connects without ever asking for a password.

For my work laptop (WinXP) I just added a local account with admin rights that uses the same login and password, and when I am at home I use that account instead of my work domain account and have no issues either.

Im a bit confused by this. Are you saying to just create a user on the WHS side that has the same name as the user that is logged on from the client side? Ive already done so, but the user on my Vista laptop does not have a password, whereas WHS requires a password.

Strangely, my XP clients can access the shares without a password, it's just the Vista machines I am having this issue with.

The Clients need to have passwords for it to work, and it must match their WHS password.

So on WHS you would have user John/password, and on the client you would have John/password.
If they match it wont ask you for a password.

If you dont want to type in your password every time you turn your computer on then do this:

Start and type "netplwiz"
GUI window comes up, uncheck the “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer” box
click Apply
in the new dialog box that opens type the name of the account you want to auto-logon by default, and password.

Sweet, thanks for the help guys. It works now. All this time I was going through the registry and advanced settings when the solution is so simple.

Back