Windows Home Server Drivers Question

Boozer

2[H]4U
I'm currently installing Windows Home Server on my "Backup" rig in my signature.

Backup - AMD Opty 148 @ 2.8::Asus A8N-SLI::2GB OCZ Plat::pNY GF7600GT 256MB::OCZ 520W Modstream::WD 250GB

Don't worry, I recently added 1TB of drives.

My question is this: What drivers will I need to install for my hardware? Would I need to install Windows XP drivers? Or Windows Vista drivers? I don't see any Windows Home Server drivers anywhere.

This is my first time installing any server based software.

Thanks a lot!

I believe Vista or Windows Server 2008 drivers would be what you'd want to install, but I may be wrong. You may have trouble installing anything but default drivers for things like your video card, because WHS is mainly meant to run as a headless OS. I'd pull that video card and use onboard video, if your mobo has it.

Thank you very much for the info. I looked into it and basically Windows Server Home* is Windows Server 2003 but modified slightly. I found the correct chipset drivers and everything is working smoothly, except for the fact that Vista x64 isn't supported with their connect software. As for the video card I left it with default windows drivers. I don't have onboard video but right now its working fine. Thanks for your help.

In most cases, there will be no server drivers for your setup, unless the machine started out as real server.

Vista drivers will not work. Server 2008 drivers will not work. In most cases, XP drivers will work just fine.

How do I know? I have WHS and that is my experience.

Thanks guys. I got it figured out and the server is purring like a kitten. I love it!

ya WHS is based on the XP kernal
so its closer to windows server 2003 then 2008

Not entirely accurate, WHS is built on Server 2003. It is not based on the XP kernel.

Just today I ordered 2 750gb samsung spinpoint F1 drives. That will bring me up to 3.74tb in my server.

Not entirely accurate, WHS is built on Server 2003. It is not based on the XP kernel.

Correct. It's just that XP and Server 2003 drivers share alot in common, so the XP drivers work (99% of the time?) for systems/hardware that were designed for XP for use with WHS.

Thank you very much for the info. I looked into it and basically Windows Server Home* is Windows Server 2003 but modified slightly. I found the correct chipset drivers and everything is working smoothly, except for the fact that Vista x64 isn't supported with their connect software. As for the video card I left it with default windows drivers. I don't have onboard video but right now its working fine. Thanks for your help.

vista 64 support is supposed to be comming in the forst power pack, you can still install the connector software (backups wont work) but you'll have the connector in your tray to access the console.

You can easily install the Windows Home Server Connector software on Vista x64 by running the following in an elevated command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories and then right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”) in Windows Vista.

msiexec /i "\\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software\whsconnector.msi" WHSMSI="RUNSETUP"

It will then install the connector software fine on that Vista x64 machine without running the SETUP.EXE bootstrap. Backups won’t work, but everything else will on that machine, so just disable backups for that machine in the console once it’s installed.

If you have any problems lots of info in the comments here

Back