Windows Logon Help

Will013

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, my dad is in a bit of a bind right now. He changed logging on to NTDOMAIN to logging on to a WORKGROUP. He restarted like it asked him to and then when the login screen comes up, he types in the password that he used from NTDOMAIN and it does not work. He says he has never set another password. Guest account is disabled and the Administrator account must not be set. So now all he can do is sit at the Windows screen. Reformating the computer is not an option. How can I either get past this screen or change it to log back in thru NTDOMAIN so his old password will work?

Thanks A Bunch,
Will

Originally posted by Will013
Well, my dad is in a bit of a bind right now. He changed logging on to NTDOMAIN to logging on to a WORKGROUP. He restarted like it asked him to and then when the login screen comes up, he types in the password that he used from NTDOMAIN and it does not work. He says he has never set another password. Guest account is disabled and the Administrator account must not be set. So now all he can do is sit at the Windows screen. Reformating the computer is not an option. How can I either get past this screen or change it to log back in thru NTDOMAIN so his old password will work?

Thanks A Bunch,
Will

Is this a laptop issued to him by his employer? If so, then he will need to contact their IT department and have it fixed.

Once you disjoin the computer from the domain, the laptop needs to be able to contact the domain controller for NTDomain.

Yes this is a company laptop. I was hoping there was a way to at least log in so we could get on the internet or at least transfer images from our digital camera. I tried booting to safe mode yet it still prompts and his normal password will not work.

Any help would be great and deeply appreciated..

Will

Yes this is a company laptop. I was hoping there was a way to at least log in so we could get on the internet or at least transfer images from our digital camera. I tried booting to safe mode yet it still prompts and his normal password will not work.

Any help would be great and deeply appreciated..

Will

Your dad has to contact the Company's IT department in order to get the necessary information to fix the problem.

Alright. I got the Administrator's password today. I am not too familiar with Windows (Go Linux!) and especially not Domains and Worksgroups and such. Can I just login as administrator now and change from WORKGROUP to NTDOMAIN and all be well?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Alright. I got the Administrator's password today. I am not too familiar with Windows (Go Linux!) and especially not Domains and Worksgroups and such. Can I just login as administrator now and change from WORKGROUP to NTDOMAIN and all be well?

Thanks in advance,
Will

In order to join a domain, the laptop will need to be able to communicate with the domain controller when you change from workgroup to domain.

Actually, the other way around. You want to leave the NTDomain and join a workgroup.

The laptop is already on the workgroup "WORKGROUP" that is why Windows wont accept his password im assuming b/c he is trying to logon to workgroup isntead of NTDOMAIN like he is supposed to...

Originally posted by O[H]-Zone
There isn't any logon to a workgroup. There is for a domain.

In a workgroup your logon is authenticated *locally* to the computer.

In a domain model, your logon is authenticated to a domain controller.

Ok. Here is what I dont get.

When he logged in normally @ the Windows screen he logged to NTDOMAIN..He could log in even if he wasnt on his companies network or any network at that...When he switched from NTDOMAIN to a workgroup, he could not login because his password/domain was wrong...

Can I not just log in as Administrator and set the computer back to connect to NTDOMAIN instead of a workgroup?

Thanks a bunch,
Will

Ok. Here is what I dont get.

When he logged in normally @ the Windows screen he logged to NTDOMAIN..He could log in even if he wasnt on his companies network or any network at that...When he switched from NTDOMAIN to a workgroup, he could not login because his password/domain was wrong...

Can I not just log in as Administrator and set the computer back to connect to NTDOMAIN instead of a workgroup?

Thanks a bunch,
Will

I'm only going to say this one more time:

The laptop needs to communicate with the domain controller in order to join the domain. <----------It's a requirement. No way around that. Period.

Contact the IT admin of that company for help.

The reason he could still log in, is the machine cache'd his credentials from the domain. You need to contact your IT department, before mucking around on company property, as at worst it could get your dad fired, best is, they don't care, and talk you through how to set it up like you want.

Back