Windows MCE / mATX Setup

webdes03

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of SFF systems and Media Centers, and I want to build a Windows Media Center SFF system to record tv shows, and store my movies/music for playback.

I have lots of experience in building PC's, however as I said, I have little experience in this area. Is Windows MCE picky about what hardware you use? Has anyone out there built anything similar and willing to share your spec sheet to help me get on my way?

Also, I'm assuming mATX is the only way to go... any suggestions on case/mobo/processor to help keep things cool. I'd prefer a mATX mini-Tower as opposed to a cube, but as I said- I'm new to all this...

I'm hoping to do it with $300-$400, as I have ram and HD's kicking around here, but the budget is fairly flexible -- I don't want to spent more than $600 tops if I can help it though.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

This is what I like in the mce boxes I build:

1Gb of ram (minimum)
128Mb nvidia video card (the MS MCE interface is a hog)
Hauppauge mce capture cards (currently using a PVR150MCE)
lots of big hard drives (last box I worked on had 1.5 Terrabytes)

If you wanna play around with an mce system but don't wanna plunk down your cash for a copy of windows mce then try GB-PVR or Media Portal

As for MCE info, checkout xpMCE, The Green Button and The Australian Media Center Community

One nice tower, ok so it's actually a barebone but the case is really nice, is the Asus Vintage in Socket 754. The system uses a standard mATX board and a regular ATX power supply. I actually bought one of the original P4-478 systems, gutted it, and installed a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M, A64 3400+, and a 300w Zalmann PS because I liked the small size of the case. Checkout Cooler Master if you want a desktop style case, the ATC-620C-BX1 line makes for a nice looking mATX based MCE box that doesn't cost a small fortune *cough* Ahanix *cough*

webdes03 said:
Also, I'm assuming mATX is the only way to go... any suggestions on case/mobo/processor to help keep things cool. I'd prefer a mATX mini-Tower as opposed to a cube, but as I said- I'm new to all this...
Actually the perferred layout is full ATX since it doesn't limit your options in what you can have in the box and isn't as cramped.

I would checkout the HTPC subforum here from alot of ideas: http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Hardware is actually only a small part of an HTPC, it's mostly about the software. But there are somethings that would need to be know before anyone should suggest anything. Depending on the kind of TV you have and the inputs that it supports will determine what kind of video card you should get.

Generally there are parts of the HTPC that are considered "standard" as in the standard recommendations.

PSU- You want a quiet one as well as one that has a high effiency rating so the suggested PSU is a Seasonic S12.

CPU- AMD is the way to go for an HTPC. Intel's Prescott chips don't do so well in your typical HTPC since they generate too much damn heat.

Memory- 512mb is fine for your standard HTPC, if you're going to game or do HD then you need to pick up a gig.

HDD- Start with atleast a 160/250 gig HDD for recordings and go from there.

Cooling- You need to pay alot of attention the fan and heatsink selection, you want something that can cool you're case well in a low noise enviroment.

Back