Windows ME CD-ROM problem on new motherboard

Jim S.

n00b
I recently built a new system for myself and wanted to give my old system, a Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4P800, to my girlfriend. I thought to keep things simple I'd just take the hard drive out of her HP Celeron system and put it in my old one. She's still running Windows ME. When I booted it, it wanted to load new drivers so I put in the ASUS driver CD and it started loading. After loading about half a dozen drivers, suddenly when the next driver request came up it claimed it couldn't find it on the CD. I shut down and rebooted. When I put the CD in again, Windows thought it was an audio CD and tried to play it! Out of curiosity, I put in another CD, the one for the ATI video card I had in the system. It didn't think that one was an audio CD, but it claimed that only some of the directories I knew were on it were there. So I put the hard drive back in her old system, it booted and switched back to the old drivers and the CD worked fine. My system was running Linux, and the only other Windows system I have is running XP, so I have no idea what was going on. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Did Asus have drivers for WinME for your motherboard?

Me is trying to boot up off her hard drive and it isnt finding the drivers for her IDE/chipset, probably USB, Sata, AGP, etc, etc

You most likely will (and should) reinstall ME onto the hard drive if she is going to use it.
(You probably will also have a hard time putting the old HP (WinME) drive back into her PC now that its started looking for and finding new hardware and drivers)

It's been so long, I don't remember if Windows ME even used the detect.txt file, but I know older Windows 9X did. Deleting the detect.txt file should allow Windows to re-detect hardware, but the non-pnp drivers that are already installed will cause you problems. Like dbwillis said, you should probably format and reinstall if at all possible.

dbwillis said:
Did Asus have drivers for WinME for your motherboard?

Me is trying to boot up off her hard drive and it isnt finding the drivers for her IDE/chipset, probably USB, Sata, AGP, etc, etc

You most likely will (and should) reinstall ME onto the hard drive if she is going to use it.
(You probably will also have a hard time putting the old HP (WinME) drive back into her PC now that its started looking for and finding new hardware and drivers)

I don't remember what specifically was on the disc, and it's at her house now so I can't check.

But it did load some drivers from the CD before it decided it was an audio disc, and shouldn't a CD drive be pretty a pretty generic thing for the IDE driver to support?

For what it's worth, I had no trouble at all putting the drive back into the old system and getting it running again. All the old drivers were still there.

My main concern is that if I do go to the trouble of reinstalling ME, how do I know it's still not going to have a problem with the new hardware?

Thats lucky it worked back in the Me PC.
If you want your GF to be really nice to you, put XP on the machine, then give it to her :D

dbwillis said:
Thats lucky it worked back in the Me PC.
If you want your GF to be really nice to you, put XP on the machine, then give it to her :D
Agreed; You are asking for a world of headache by trying to use ME, let alone in the capacity you are trying.

I also agree. If anything else put Win98 on it, but stay away from ME.

Back