windows ram usage

tim987

n00b
Sorry for the noob question. Should Windows always be using ram? My ram usage seems to always be at 28% according to my logitech performance monitor.

Here's my setup:
Windows XP MCE2005
evga 680i
evga 8800GTX
crucial ballistix tracers (2x1gb) ddr2 1000 (pc2 8000)
intel c2d e6600
corsair 620hx

when i tried OCing the memory earlier it hit 35%, so that got me a little paranoid.

Use the task manager to check how many processes are running in the background, there may be quick a few which are not needed. How many are you running?

Ouch, that's an awful lot. I have my laptop down to 18. You should definitly try to kill a few.

Open System Configuration Utility (Start --> Run --> then type "msconfig")
Or you could try services.msc but msconfig is safer. First select the "Startup" tab and deselect any uneeded applications. Then move onto the "Services" tab and enable "Hide All Microsoft Services", then you can pretty much (safely) disable everything you see there. This should help disable a lot of your background processes. I hope this was of some help.

Also, what is you Commit Charge at in task manager?

Yeah, i would definitly say you have too many processes running in the background. Using my laptop isn't the best comparison, however i can get my commit charge down to 110, about a quarter of your 453. Something's being a major resource hog in your machine. Try what i said and disable a few of your applications etc. running in the background using msconfig, i'm sure there must be some you don't need. It will also decrease boot time since it won't have to load all that extra stuff when you boot up.

I believe there are a few guides around which help to 'optimise' windows and free up a lot resources, it might be worth looking into it.

Just incase if it is of any help, here is a screenshot of the task manager on my laptop. I have disabled almost every item under the "Startup" tab in msconfig, and also many of non-microsoft processes under the "Services" tab, which i deemed unecessary.

If you want any more help, be sure to ask!

processesvv4.jpg

here's a list of the processes i'm running.

Woah, that's a lot. I bet you could get rid of at least half of them, no problem. Only i can't really offer much help since, after all, every computer is different and your hardware may require some of those processes. I'm afraid it will just be a case of going through the msconfig utility and disabling some of the programs you don't want to load up during boot. Then you can disable some ervices (although they're not quite so important), but leave the microsoft ones untouched.

Basically, if there's an application you see in msconfig (under the "Startup" tab) which you rarely use, or don't need to load during boot, try disabling it, reboot and check the functionality of your hardware. There's very little that can go wrong, i mean you could probably safely disable everything you see there and still have a fully functioning computer. But don't disable more than a few startup items at a time, so if you do see a problem it will be easier to link it to a specific program you disabled.

wow. that's a lot.
you can Google your processes, also. There are a lot of people on forums that ask about individual processes and if they need them or not.

Back