Windows says my network cable is unplugged....

cp900

n00b
I called Comcast support today (big mistake) about a problem with my desktop. The end result was that my laptop cannot connect to the internet now (it worked fine before). So I am winging it with this. The problem is that windows says that my network cable is unplugged regardless to what it is plugged in to (router, straight to cable modem, etc.) Has anyone else seen this and knows how to fix it?

I concur with the above poster, check hardware first.

Next, check your device manager. Is your Ethernet card showing up? Is it turned on? Check properties. Is TCP/IP active?

You guys were right....

There is something wrong with the port on my computer. It has lost the ability for a cable to connect and stay in the port. So i have to position the laptop so the cable is held in the port.....

Thanks

Is it a problem with the port (which would suck) or a problem with the little piece of plastic on the cable that clicks in (not a big deal)? Is it an integrated port or a card?

Its the integrated port, and yes it does suck. I have deduced this because cords that clip in fine to my other computer or my router still have the problem in the laptop....sigh

I have the same problem with my toshiba 2003 laptop, it cable stopped clicking in the port (yes i tried more than one cable) eventually the cable wasnt even detected.......toshiba sucks!
so now i have to rely on my wireless network.....

Back