Windows stopped recognizing my two WD HDD's after a few weeks? Why?

vietpho

Limp Gawd
I bought two hard drives on newegg during black friday and used it for a couple of weeks.
The two HDD's were:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB
and
HD 750|WD 7K 32M SATA2 WD7501AALS

I bought them both OEM.

A few weeks into using it, I decided to unhook the HDD's. After putting it back in, windows would not recognize my two hard drives.

The Bios was able to detect it though.

Why did this happen? There were no loose sata or power connectors.

I've already reformatted both hard drives and they are working again, but should I be using them or send them back RMA?

Does Disk Management see them?

This is weird. I installed Windows 7 onto my raptor HDD and it is still showing the same stuff it did in Disk Management when my 2 WD hdd's failed.

Here it is:
screenshotofhdd.jpg

Last edited:
What is going on? Why is it still showing all of that for the two HDD's from before? By the way, I've already unhooked the 750GB but I am still using the reformated 1.5TB hdd that failed. Why is it still showing both like that? is something wrong with my mobo?

Do you have an option to remove them when you right click on the box that says "missing"? I think you might just be able to put them offline and then remove the drives, afterwards just run a scan for disks under the actions menu and they should be gone.

If they aren't physically installed they should not be showing up in Disk Management period. I assume they're not showing up in the BIOS. In that case, something is seriously fubbard with Windows.

When I right click on it, it gives me option to Reactive Volume and Delete Volume. I'm afraid to do the "Delete volume" option because it might do something funky -.-

I think I'm just going to leave this as is unless someone on this forum thinks I should do something about this.

If they aren't physically installed they should not be showing up in Disk Management period. I assume they're not showing up in the BIOS. In that case, something is seriously fubbard with Windows.

they are installed- read more carefully, he unplugged them then reformatted and the old metadata from drives is still listed in disk management

What you can do is shutdown, disconnect the drives in question, reboot and go into disk management and delete the volumes and drives, then shutdown and reconnect them. It should then show up in disk management as foreign disks, import both foreign disks and you should be golden. Before you do any of this make sure they are both converted to dynamic disks if not already. Looking at the screenshot you posted it looks like you initially had them as dynamic disks then when you reformatted them you only configured them as basic disks, I think this is what caused the issue.

. Before you do any of this make sure they are both converted to dynamic disks if not already.

I never had them as Dynamic disks. I wanted to keep them basic so I can take them out and loan them to people whenever I need to without any problems. I've heard if I made them all Dynamic, then it wouldn't work as I wanted.

I'm going to try and unhook all of them tomorrow and boot up windows and delete those redflag ones in disk management like you said.

Back