Windows Store Hits 100,000 Apps In 8 Months

Endomondo. Killer app for the Android OS IMO (maybe iOS as well, I don't honestly know). You could probably do the same thing with a mobile website I guess, but an app is much easier to use.

Well each person can decide if there is something like that for themselves but for me I have never heard of that app, now I have looked it up and yep no not really needed or killer. If you are an extremely competitive athlete maybe? Also doesn't really apply to windows 8 now does it are you going to lug a tablet around while you are running?

Well each person can decide if there is something like that for themselves but for me I have never heard of that app, now I have looked it up and yep no not really needed or killer. If you are an extremely competitive athlete maybe? Also doesn't really apply to windows 8 now does it are you going to lug a tablet around while you are running?

Apps always crack me up. I tried a couple shitty YouTube apps before I just created a link to their website. Haven't looked for another app since.

I assure you as a Windows 8 user on many computers and a Surface Pro owner there are a lot more than 100 apps. A shit ton more.

Windows 8.1 does a better job promoting apps in the Store than 8 did anyways. 8's Store was boring and unless you knew what you wanted, a hassle to browse.
I think he was trying to be funny. Comparing a physical (B&M) Windows store to that on Windows 8, lol.

That's correct. The observant would note that there is no online Windows app store in Century City. Just a lot of hot dogs and liquor stores.

Seems that a lot of people that don't use Windows 8 care a lot more about it than the people that do for some reason.

People feel the need to show their distaste for something, much like the rabid anti apple here, if its something good its something worth shitting on.

Seems that a lot of people that don't use Windows 8 care a lot more about it than the people that do for some reason.

Most of the individuals on here that I've seen post complains or issues about Windows 8 are indeed using it.
There are some that don't though.

Without Classic Shell, I would have given up entirely on Win 8.
Requiring users to use keyboard shortcuts to simply manuver around is just silly.

Even OS X doesn't require users to use the shortcuts.
The major problem with Windows 8 isn't even the GUI, it was the lack of options that Microsoft forced upon individuals when they made Windows 8.

Even when there was a major outcry for loyal users, Microsoft didn't listen.
Honestly, that's a bit disheartening, and I feel bad for long-time Microsoft customers and fans alike because of this.

At least users were given some choice with Classic Shell and Start8.
It's nice to see that the Windows app store is building up, so at least the devs aren't suffering too much.

If only Bill Gates were running Microsoft again. :(

I was a believer in anything balmer said, I have always wanted bill gates back, but I think hes moved past the vision hes once held for the company so even if he moves back it would be a poor decision. They need a good ceo to take over, one that can take an already stacked line up of great products and push it to the public.

I was a believer in anything balmer said, I have always wanted bill gates back, but I think hes moved past the vision hes once held for the company so even if he moves back it would be a poor decision. They need a good ceo to take over, one that can take an already stacked line up of great products and push it to the public.

Oh I definitely agree, if Bill Gates returned, it probably wouldn't be a good choice.
If only we could make Microsoft go back to what it was in the early 2000's.

Windows 2000 Pro ftw.

Oh I definitely agree, if Bill Gates returned, it probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Windows 2000 Pro ftw.

Funny how a workstation os became so iconic to the average consumer. Sucked it took them so long to get WinME so stable, by the time they patched it three times it was awesome! By then everyone moved onto win2k haha.

Most of the individuals on here that I've seen post complains or issues about Windows 8 are indeed using it.
There are some that don't though.

Without Classic Shell, I would have given up entirely on Win 8.
Requiring users to use keyboard shortcuts to simply manuver around is just silly.

Even OS X doesn't require users to use the shortcuts.
The major problem with Windows 8 isn't even the GUI, it was the lack of options that Microsoft forced upon individuals when they made Windows 8.

Even when there was a major outcry for loyal users, Microsoft didn't listen.
Honestly, that's a bit disheartening, and I feel bad for long-time Microsoft customers and fans alike because of this.

At least users were given some choice with Classic Shell and Start8.
It's nice to see that the Windows app store is building up, so at least the devs aren't suffering too much.

If only Bill Gates were running Microsoft again. :(

There is no requirement to use keyboard shortcuts in 8 save one that is also necessary in 7 that I know. Aero snap when using multiple independent monitors can only be done on the interior edges on the monitors using the Windows+Arrow keys as there is no edge for a window to snap to in this case. Yes, keyboard shortcuts can be easier and faster for some but that would generally apply to prior versions of Windows as well.

And I have no idea how one can look at 8.1 and just say outright that Microsoft doesn't listen to customers since many of the changes in 8.1 were asked for by customers. The only major things that Microsoft didn't do are brining back the Start Menu and/or a Metro off switch. But listening to customers doesn't mean you do exactly everything people scream about.

What planet do you live on? Customer support means exactly that.

It's literally impossible for Microsoft or anyone else to do everything that ALL customers want in a product as complex and widely used as Windows.

Windows 2000 Pro ftw.

The problem with Win2000 was that protected mode drivers were very limited and buggy. Only certain hardware was compatible. This is what killed it off.

And I have no idea how one can look at 8.1 and just say outright that Microsoft doesn't listen to customers since many of the changes in 8.1 were asked for by customers. The only major things that Microsoft didn't do are brining back the Start Menu and/or a Metro off switch.

Well, unfortunately, those were the two big things people wanted a choice on.
Microsoft is starting to rank up there with EA at this point.

But listening to customers doesn't mean you do exactly everything people scream about.
So much for "the customer is always right".
It wasn't like people wanted Metro to disappear, just have an option to hide/disable it.

That's it, an option.
I said, if it weren't for Classic Shell and Start8, I would have abandoned Windows 8 completely.

And no way it is ready for enterprise until Microsoft does add an option to hide/disable Metro and add the Start menu back.
This isn't just my opinion, I've heard it from IT admins across the board, 100% from them all. :eek:

I love you for this.

Thanks <3

No problem. This really is a keyboard shortcut that needs to be known with multiple monitors since there's no mouse function to do it and it's extremely useful for productivity on the desktop. It also now works with Modern apps in 8.1.

It's not on WebOS either. Draw any conclusions you want from that. ;)

Watching baseball is like watching paint dry isn't like a slideshow good enough? I am sure if you put all the at the "action" together you could just make a gif of a game. :p

I like playing it but watching is another story.

That's correct. The observant would note that there is no online Windows app store in Century City. Just a lot of hot dogs and liquor stores.

And if you've seen Fight Club, you also know that it is the sole place where records for all of the country's debt is stored.

If it had that option, we'd be deploying Windows 8 at work right now. Metro is the #1 reason why we won't. I don't mind it, but it's like the USA - I'm a 1%'er. There's not a lot of people that like it. Some people deal with it and others just HATE it.

Having a GPO to disable Metro and have a classic desktop would be great for enterprise and power users, but most home users would still use Metro and the Windows Store. If that was done, I think Win8 adoption would rise quite a bit in the enterprise.

It wasn't like people wanted Metro to disappear, just have an option to hide/disable it.

That's it, an option.
I said, if it weren't for Classic Shell and Start8, I would have abandoned Windows 8 completely.

And no way it is ready for enterprise until Microsoft does add an option to hide/disable Metro and add the Start menu back.
This isn't just my opinion, I've heard it from IT admins across the board, 100% from them all. :eek:

Endomondo. Killer app for the Android OS IMO (maybe iOS as well, I don't honestly know). You could probably do the same thing with a mobile website I guess, but an app is much easier to use.

That app is available for Windows 8 Phone. Who would use that with their desktop, laptop or even a tablet? OK, in a world where some people buy phones with 6"+ screens, there might be a small group of small tablet users (with cellular connectivity built in) that'd use it.

Most apps, on all platforms, are rubbish. And in the early days of the iPhone, the big thing was stuff like iBelch. Is the Rotten Tomatoes app worth a free download? No. It's not as good as the website. I've got an IMDB app, but i never use it. Facebook, twitter, and some email apps are killer apps for mobile devices, but unneeded for anything bigger than a tablet?

If the phone can do it, then I don't need another app and if I'm at my desktop/laptop, the website works. It even works on my android tablet, though I generally use my iPhone if for those things if I'm not at my desktop.

A killer desktop/laptop app is likely to take longer to develop a conduit to a website.

If companies can develop internal apps and deploy them to company machines/phones, then that is a killer app in and of itself, at least it could be for those doing IT support.

Well, unfortunately, those were the two big things people wanted a choice on.
Microsoft is starting to rank up there with EA at this point.

That's it, an option.

Yes, and in 2009 people wanted the windows 95 start menu. Some didn't want to move to a GUI they wanted DOS forever. Things change. As for IT Admins, most admins don't want to change anything if hey don't have to. And honestly why would a company go ti Windows 8 when they either just transitioned to 7 in the last few years or are just starting to transition?

There was a pretty high percentage of businesses running Windows 2000 until support ended. When XP came out my company was just starting to migrate to 2000. We had almost 10,000 people and I doubt there was more than a handful of Xp machines (and they were there strictly for testing compatibility of apps (just in case a customer used XP).

This is nothing new. IT will ride 7 until it's not supported and then they'll move to windows 9 or 10 or whatever the latest is (assuming it's established that it's stable). And by then all this bitching and moaning will be pointless, because employees will have had the newer OS at home for years.

I can promise while IT, and everyone here, was saying Vista sucks, I'd moved to vista (though not at launch, when it was a disaster for a variety of reasons, not all MS's fault) and it was much better than XP. I literally brought my own copy to work....then the Win IT Manager found out (cause I told him) and I had to go back to XP. It was painful, but I suffered for about a year until we switched to 7.

Technically correct, however, most people associate the term "Apps" with useless 99 cent crap like fart machines, flashlights and websites that should just be viewed with a web browser. I can't help but feel that Apple sort of tainted/wrecked the term.

I'd disagree. One of the things that made 'apps' a popular term dates all the way back to BBS and IRC where you'd have channels called #apps and later in the piracy scene ('warez') would be #appz with various prefixes like #elite-appz #fastdlappz #[HOCP]Appz or whatever else. The apps would include everything under the sun though. You'd have 3D Studio Max, Windows, Excel, Photoshop and pretty much every program a consumer needed to do 'work' pirated under #appz or apps.

The fact that early-cellphones liked to sometimes use the abbreviation b/c applications was too long of a word to fit onto a phone is just coincidental and if anything, you should probably be blaming Apple for the associating of apps with small-nearly-useless programs and fart-jokes. Perhaps that says something about the average Apple customer's daily uses vs PC users daily uses; how apps are defined.

There is no requirement to use keyboard shortcuts in 8 save one that is also necessary in 7 that I know. Aero snap when using multiple independent monitors can only be done on the interior edges on the monitors using the Windows+Arrow keys as there is no edge for a window to snap to in this case. Yes, keyboard shortcuts can be easier and faster for some but that would generally apply to prior versions of Windows as well.

I really don't care for all your Win8 cheerleading, but I have to thank you for this as well. Just tried it on my Win7 machine and it works great :D

You don't have to be a highly competitive athlete to use Endomondo, just someone who works out. It can replace your bike computer, pedometer and more. I mostly use it to keep track of the time, speed and distance I ride. If you're competitive, the challenges would appeal.

BTW, I was replying to your post saying phones are good for anything but surfing and making calls. You said there weren't any useful apps. Endomondo is very useful to me and it couldn't be duplicated through a web app, at least not as well done as it is in app form. I said NOTHING about this being in any way related to Win8 apps.

If it had that option, we'd be deploying Windows 8 at work right now. Metro is the #1 reason why we won't. I don't mind it, but it's like the USA - I'm a 1%'er. There's not a lot of people that like it. Some people deal with it and others just HATE it.

Having a GPO to disable Metro and have a classic desktop would be great for enterprise and power users, but most home users would still use Metro and the Windows Store. If that was done, I think Win8 adoption would rise quite a bit in the enterprise.

AMEN! The largest problem I have with Win8 is the fact that we can't disable the Modern UI on a desktop. I can even live without a start menu and live with the crappy flat, fisher price colors if I could just disable the start screen, hot corners and charms bar. Yeah, I know it would be like Windows 7 with a few upgrades, but that's the point... ;)

That app is available for Windows 8 Phone. Who would use that with their desktop, laptop or even a tablet? OK, in a world where some people buy phones with 6"+ screens, there might be a small group of small tablet users (with cellular connectivity built in) that'd use it.

Most apps, on all platforms, are rubbish. And in the early days of the iPhone, the big thing was stuff like iBelch. Is the Rotten Tomatoes app worth a free download? No. It's not as good as the website. I've got an IMDB app, but i never use it. Facebook, twitter, and some email apps are killer apps for mobile devices, but unneeded for anything bigger than a tablet?

If the phone can do it, then I don't need another app and if I'm at my desktop/laptop, the website works. It even works on my android tablet, though I generally use my iPhone if for those things if I'm not at my desktop.

A killer desktop/laptop app is likely to take longer to develop a conduit to a website.

If companies can develop internal apps and deploy them to company machines/phones, then that is a killer app in and of itself, at least it could be for those doing IT support.

Again, read my response to rudy above, I was talking about phone apps, android to be specific. You may not like the IMDB app, but I use it all the time. I keep either my phone or Kindle next to me when I watch TV and I grab it to look something up quite often. To each their own, but I use it a lot. I could use the website, but the app is easier.

I totally agree with you about apps on the desktop. I have ZERO use for them. I've always thought that apps for Windows 8 were a complete joke and that opinion hasn't changed a bit. When I was testing it, I never went into the start screen (or the Modern UI at all if I could avoid it). There weren't any apps that offered anything compelling over regular applications or websites. At least not to me.

I really don't care for all your Win8 cheerleading, but I have to thank you for this as well. Just tried it on my Win7 machine and it works great :D

Thanks.

AMEN! The largest problem I have with Win8 is the fact that we can't disable the Modern UI on a desktop. I can even live without a start menu and live with the crappy flat, fisher price colors if I could just disable the start screen, hot corners and charms bar. Yeah, I know it would be like Windows 7 with a few upgrades, but that's the point... ;)

There are some more options in 8.1 to control some of this. You can disable the hot corners at the top leaving only the Start hot corner at the bottom left and a Charms one on the right. You can also set the Start Button/Corner to go directly to the Apps screen and there are some options to sort the Apps screen to make finding things easier. Sorry if you consider this cheerleading, just pointing out the changes. For some that don't like 8 these changes will make a big difference but clearly they won't satisfy everyone. However this is still only a preview and while is nearly complete there's the possibility for another tweak or two that would improve the situation further.

I totally agree with you about apps on the desktop. I have ZERO use for them. I've always thought that apps for Windows 8 were a complete joke and that opinion hasn't changed a bit. When I was testing it, I never went into the start screen (or the Modern UI at all if I could avoid it). There weren't any apps that offered anything compelling over regular applications or websites. At least not to me.

At this point the Modern UI and apps simply aren't a replacement for the desktop and I don't think that they ever will be as long as there is wide spread use of the desktop metaphor and its programs. There were a lot of changes to the Modern UI 8.1 to make it more desktop friendly, multiple monitor support and better multitasking. As more Modern apps come online I think that for some people Modern apps will be able to do most if not all that they need, particularly when the Modern version of Office comes out.

Again, sorry if you think I'm cheerleading here but I am simply pointing out the changes and what's to come and just thinking that in time Modern apps will be able to suit the needs of a lot of people, much as tablets and even smart phones do so today.

Well, at least I've heard you say you understand other viewpoints before, even though you might not agree with them. That's more then some of the Windows 8 proponents... ;)

Back