Windows Update Will Push IE9; IE10 Will Snub Vista

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft will begin making Internet Explorer 9 available through Windows Update on Tuesday for end users. The browser will not be an automatic download, but will be listed as a suggested upgrade. Windows Server Update Services will provide the download for corporate customers in June.

But XP can take some solace in the fact that its much younger sibling, Vista, is also being snubbed. It turns out that IE10 doesn't support that immediate predecessor to Windows 7.

...windows server 2008 r2 and windows 7 already have this avail via windows update?

I'm confused, I already upgraded all my computers this week to IE9 through Windows Update...

Does anybody else have problems with the download manager? I consistently download a podcast and it will get to 99% done and then just stop. When I use firefox it works fine.

Win7 on 3 machines have picked up IE9 thru windows update by themselves so far...

IE9 causes problems with older programs that call the IE libraries to function. I will leave IE8 installed and keep using Firefox.

IE10 is only in a platform preview state right now. It's not even a full browser, or even a beta. The PP excludes Vista, but it's not definitely known if the beta/RC/release will do the same.

I know the whole "durf IE10 won't work with Vista" thing is often repeated, but it ignores that MS has done that with other products too during early pre-releases. I'm not convinced the IE10 situation is any different.

Ive been using IE 9 for a while and its working very well.....I still use FF also, but IE is becoming my go to browser lately

MS has promised mainstream Vista support into April 2012. So, if IE10 is finished and released before then, but not for Vista, that's cheesy, if not illegal.

I HATE IE9, I tried it for a week and went back to IE8. Am I the only one who likes IE8?

I hate the damn "address bar is a search bar" concept. It works like ass!!!

windows update or microsoft update?

Well, at least on 7, it's "Windows Update" that looks for updates for "Windows and other Microsoft products" (AKA Microsoft Update on XP).

That make sense though. It's most likely shown up only for those of us who've allowed it to check for additional updates.

MS has promised mainstream Vista support into April 2012. So, if IE10 is finished and released before then, but not for Vista, that's cheesy, if not illegal.

Support =/= upgrades, which means they'll release security and minor update patches for IE9 for Vista, but you won't get the "upgrade" to IE10.

Well, at least on 7, it's "Windows Update" that looks for updates for "Windows and other Microsoft products" (AKA Microsoft Update on XP).

That make sense though. It's most likely shown up only for those of us who've allowed it to check for additional updates.

but you have to tell it to check for everything. Same as with XP. By default it updates just windows, you then have to tell it to install updates for other microsoft products.

That said, i've seen it on windows 7 machines also already. Odd thing was that on two different machines that i upgraded to SP 1 this week, 1 has IE 9 listed as important the other optional.

I HATE IE9, I tried it for a week and went back to IE8. Am I the only one who likes IE8?
IE9 is a significant improvement over IE8. As soon as Chrome gets some decent text rendering, though, there'll be no reason for anyone to use IE9.

Not sure how that's "illegal". I doubt IE 10 will release by April 2012 as it will be the browser for Windows 8 and that's where I think Microsoft will be focusing most of it's efforts in IE 10 as Windows 8 is going to have more UI changes to it than any Windows release to date to support touch. While Vista has touch support it's at the driver level not the OS level. Of course the touch features so be able to degrade gracefully without impacting the rest of the browser.

Honestly I think Microsoft is doing this about right. Support standards but also support the unique capabilities of Windows. There's plenty of cross-platform browsers that are client agnostic, IE should be about supporting Windows-specific capabilities while keeping the rendering engine standards compliant.

http://www.bingtoolbar.com
http://www.google.com/toolbar
http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/
http://toolbar.ask.com

Take your pick.

Or just add your preferred search engine here: http://www.iegallery.com/en/addons/?feature=searchproviders and use the goddamn URL box. What's the big deal? It's the same thing!

Not sure how that's "illegal". I doubt IE 10 will release by April 2012 as it will be the browser for Windows 8 and that's where I think Microsoft will be focusing most of it's efforts in IE 10 as Windows 8 is going to have more UI changes to it than any Windows release to date to support touch. While Vista has touch support it's at the driver level not the OS level. Of course the touch features so be able to degrade gracefully without impacting the rest of the browser.

Honestly I think Microsoft is doing this about right. Support standards but also support the unique capabilities of Windows. There's plenty of cross-platform browsers that are client agnostic, IE should be about supporting Windows-specific capabilities while keeping the rendering engine standards compliant.

IE10 will be out this year, sooner than you think probably. I agree that they are doing things right and I don't see how it's "illegal" for them not to support IE10 in Vista.

Does anybody else have problems with the download manager? I consistently download a podcast and it will get to 99% done and then just stop. When I use firefox it works fine.

The download manager/ie9 freaks out whenever I DL an *.exe file and prompts me before Ivan open it which is annoying!

Improvement? I have seen several things that are broken and don't work. How is that in improvement?

You will ask me what, so I guess I better give you some examples.

Go to google maps and be logged in to your google email so google knows who you are.
Of course this problem I will describe only works if you used google maps before...
Anyway, try to get directions to something. In the past when I typed in an address that I had used before, like my home address, or a friends address, I start to type it, and then several matches shows up, sort of an autocomplete, like google search. Many might show up and then you click the one you want. You can click the one you want in IE9, but it will not show the full address in the dialog box after you click. It's just broken, period. I seem to remember this working in IE8, but maybe I'm wrong. It's very annoying and a pain, so I will just use Chrome.

Now for problem 2. I sell some things on ebay and print labels from Paypal. I always printed from IE8 before. In the past, it just worked. I have literally printed hundreds of labels over the past year, so I know how this used to work.

At one point during the process in Paypal you get a popup with your label. You review it, and then you can click to print it, or print a sample to check the printing before printing the real thing.
When you click print, then you get another small popup that asks if your label printed properly or not.
This all worked smooth as silk in IE8.

Now in IE9 when the first popup, which is your label, comes up, also you get the small popup asking if your label printed correctly, but you did NOT print anything yet, or even click to print anything. You have to close the small popup, then click what you want to print, the sample or the real label. It's royally screwed up and a pain in the butt.

Who checks this crap software before they release it to us? Bueller, Bueller?

IE9 is a significant improvement over IE8. As soon as Chrome gets some decent text rendering, though, there'll be no reason for anyone to use IE9.

Windows touch based devices. Yes that's niche now but you did say ANYONE. IE 9 is a much better touch based browser than Chrome on Windows. And touch is only going to get much more prominent in Windows 8. At this point I've not seen any effort by Google to support touch in Windows though Firefox 4 does have it though out of the box it's been disabled.

Go to google maps and be logged in to your google email so google knows who you are.
Of course this problem I will describe only works if you used google maps before...
Anyway, try to get directions to something. In the past when I typed in an address that I had used before, like my home address, or a friends address, I start to type it, and then several matches shows up, sort of an autocomplete, like google search. Many might show up and then you click the one you want. You can click the one you want in IE9, but it will not show the full address in the dialog box after you click. It's just broken, period. I seem to remember this working in IE8, but maybe I'm wrong. It's very annoying and a pain, so I will just use Chrome.

Just tried this with IE 9.0.8112.16421 Update Versions: RTM(KB982861) and Chrome 11.0.696.44 on two different machines and the behavior was IDENTICAL in both browsers.

IE10 will be out this year, sooner than you think probably. I agree that they are doing things right and I don't see how it's "illegal" for them not to support IE10 in Vista.

You may be right but IE 10 shipping this year doesn't make sense to me as that seems to far away from the Windows 8 release unless there will be yet another IE release for Windows 8. Without doubt the version of IE that ships with Windows 8 will support Windows 8 features like IE 8 & 9 had support for Windows 7 features. It seems pretty clear now that Microsoft's browser strategy is to be standards compliant on the engine side and to support Windows specific features on the UI side and without doubt there's going to be a lot of UI changes to Windows 8 especially around touch. Also IE 10 I suspect with also run on Windows 8 ARM and that's not coming until next year.

If IE 10 does come out this year then I'm pretty sure there will have to be an IE 10.5 or 11 for support of Windows 8.

All of my Windows 7 machines have already been upgraded with IE 9 through Windows update.

Am I missing something here? Is this just slow news or was it a rolling release?

Same here. The person below you had links to other search bar addons lol. I want to keep my ie8 address bar not just make it another search bar from another provider.

To the above post of mine..quoted the wrong person. Suppose to be this

You may be right but IE 10 shipping this year doesn't make sense to me as that seems to far away from the Windows 8 release unless there will be yet another IE release for Windows 8. Without doubt the version of IE that ships with Windows 8 will support Windows 8 features like IE 8 & 9 had support for Windows 7 features. It seems pretty clear now that Microsoft's browser strategy is to be standards compliant on the engine side and to support Windows specific features on the UI side and without doubt there's going to be a lot of UI changes to Windows 8 especially around touch. Also IE 10 I suspect with also run on Windows 8 ARM and that's not coming until next year.

If IE 10 does come out this year then I'm pretty sure there will have to be an IE 10.5 or 11 for support of Windows 8.

I think both Microsoft and Mozilla have publicly said they plan to adopt Google's more aggressive strategy for Browser updates. I would not be Surprised if Windows 8 shipped with IE11 or IE12. I could be wrong but that's my thought on this, it's a hugely competitive market and everyone will be working their ass off not to fall behind.

I only really use IE at work, our control point services rely heavily on ActiveX and it becomes a pain having to use no-activex plugins for auditing and rdp in chrome/FF. That being said I'm really enjoying IE9. I just deployed 90 new windows 7 machine's for a local school corp. I had to make a ton of changes in IE for one of their new web based testing and it was a breeze. Not really related to IE but 2008 R2 Schema + Win7 works much better with Group Policy than 2003 and XP ever did.

For those of you having issues with the address bar as a search bar i think you just don't know how to use it. I have yet to notice a single problem with using it that isn't caused but not being smarter than your computer. if you type in something and press enter it will try to do its best at figuring if you are searching or trying to load an address. Easy fix is to use it correctly, if you want to search for a term either click the serach button after you type in your words or put a ? before you stuff. typing in vb.net then pressing enter will load the web page http://www.vb.net puting ?vb.net will do a search for vb.net

once you keep there in mind there isn't anything wrong with only having 1 box

I think both Microsoft and Mozilla have publicly said they plan to adopt Google's more aggressive strategy for Browser updates. I would not be Surprised if Windows 8 shipped with IE11 or IE12. I could be wrong but that's my thought on this, it's a hugely competitive market and everyone will be working their ass off not to fall behind.

I only really use IE at work, our control point services rely heavily on ActiveX and it becomes a pain having to use no-activex plugins for auditing and rdp in chrome/FF. That being said I'm really enjoying IE9. I just deployed 90 new windows 7 machine's for a local school corp. I had to make a ton of changes in IE for one of their new web based testing and it was a breeze. Not really related to IE but 2008 R2 Schema + Win7 works much better with Group Policy than 2003 and XP ever did.

I think Windows 8 will only ship with IE 10. Yes 9 just came out and they are releasing this for 10. but remember this is only a preview. IE9 had those for awhile, then came the betas. I wouldn't expect IE10 to actually be done and released till the end of next year. Firest tech preview of IE9 came out Nov 2009, final release didnt' occur until March 2011. By the same timeline that puts IE 10 at Aug 2012.

Reading through this thread it has come to me that people expect things to "Just work" when upgrading to new browsers be it IE9 or a version of FF. What I think some fail to see is that companies like paypal don't always have hundreds of hours to spend testing every single frigging browser change. Sometimes we have to play it safe and wait until releases are updated and changes are made.

I myself have rolled into new software and hated how the update or updates were handled and held back a while before accepting the new version. Same thing goes with windows update I wait a while before installing just to make sure nothing "critical" is being seen to cause problems.

Just my two cents

Not really related to IE but 2008 R2 Schema + Win7 works much better with Group Policy than 2003 and XP ever did.

Yeah, I need to get up to speed as I think that's where my company is going as we push out Windows 7. I am a developer not an admin but it's good to know about infrastructure.

Guess we'll see just how aggressive that Microsoft is about IE releases. At MIX they talk quite a bit about cadence and I don't think Microsoft has any intention of matching Google in that regard but they are trying to bring to market solid standards based releases with 8 to 12 week test releases during the development cycle. I just don't see enough time to do two IE released before Windows 8 unless they really plan to push up there release cycle compared to IE 9 which is a possibility, I guess we'll see,

Reading through this thread it has come to me that people expect things to "Just work" when upgrading to new browsers be it IE9 or a version of FF.

True and that's where that good old IE 7 compatibility feature comes into play. For the handful of sites that don't work perfectly that's I've run across switching to IE 7 mode fixed the problems for me.

Reading through this thread it has come to me that people expect things to "Just work" when upgrading to new browsers be it IE9 or a version of FF. What I think some fail to see is that companies like paypal don't always have hundreds of hours to spend testing every single frigging browser change. Sometimes we have to play it safe and wait until releases are updated and changes are made.

I myself have rolled into new software and hated how the update or updates were handled and held back a while before accepting the new version. Same thing goes with windows update I wait a while before installing just to make sure nothing "critical" is being seen to cause problems.

Just my two cents

Are you saying it's Paypal's fault? They take a percentage of my money and are supposed to provide me with a service that works, so yes I expect their shit to work.
What's wrong with that?

Whereas, MS gave their word to buyers that MS would provide provide mainstream support for Vista into April 2012.

Whereas, the browser is an important part of using Windows and MS itself has insisted IE is an inseparable part of the operating system.

Resolved, releasing a new IE version that does not support Vista is a failure to maintain mainstream support of Vista, and is a violation of Microsoft's binding commitment.

If Microsoft were sued, I don't see how MS would win.

Whereas, MS gave their word to buyers that MS would provide provide mainstream support for Vista into April 2012.

Whereas, the browser is an important part of using Windows and MS itself has insisted IE is an inseparable part of the operating system.

Resolved, releasing a new IE version that does not support Vista is a failure to maintain mainstream support of Vista, and is a violation of Microsoft's binding commitment.

If Microsoft were sued, I don't see how MS would win.
You can almost bet they will wait till after April of next year before IE10 goes mainstream ;).
I don't think they will let a bunch of people jump on money bandwagon to collect for something you don't even use, lol.

users with issues with it reset the browser (Internet options > last tab > reset > but leave the tick box unticked) that should remove all the crap setting that may be in there from IE8

older users of IE8 are Very confused with IE9 as the bookmark button is missing you need to enable the command bar and maybe the menu bar to get access back to the bookmarks, the home button is bit far to get to it, enabling the menu bar fix's the home button issue

re-installing the google tool bar should fix the default suggestion feature

For those of you having issues with the address bar as a search bar i think you just don't know how to use it. I have yet to notice a single problem with using it that isn't caused but not being smarter than your computer. if you type in something and press enter it will try to do its best at figuring if you are searching or trying to load an address. Easy fix is to use it correctly, if you want to search for a term either click the serach button after you type in your words or put a ? before you stuff. typing in vb.net then pressing enter will load the web page http://www.vb.net puting ?vb.net will do a search for vb.net

once you keep there in mind there isn't anything wrong with only having 1 box

Thanks for the tip. I'm not using ie9 now but tried the beta and uninstalled it because of this. Guess I had better get used to it.

Back