Windows Vista N ~ And WMP 11

dot_Zen

Gawd
I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart, in hopes that more users will try and take the time to work out their problems instead of proclaiming X does not work because it "Sucks". No developer wants or intends for their developed product to "Suck", if things are not working properly, something is amiss and I'm sure the developer would like the issue resolved as quickly, quietly and effectively as the user desires; if not more.

Now that my sentiment about offering help to "someone", in particular, is out of the way..we'll proceed.

Microsoft was held, bound, by an EU decision for an anti-competitiveness claim and ruling. The descision? Remove proprietary softwares which limited other vendors from making a legible stand against a "Giant".

Microsoft obliged, although I'm sure, uncomfortably; as you never intentionally develop something (with all best intentions) that someone else can/may force you to take a 'nerf' at their calling whim. Invariably, what was done was done.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/eudecision/faq.asp

The solution brought about even more versions of the recently released Operating System , Windows Vista. I'm sure there are many reasons for this, but we'll stick to the facts and try to recover what seems to be an oversight or issue in need of attention.

Now, if one were to use the any extension of Microsoft's Help and Support center for their EU inclusive country, they ill find that there is no listed support for any Media player on Vista Enterprise or Business above Windows Media Player 9; including the download section (with a few vague refrences to WM10 and WMP11 install for XP).

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11737/en-us/?sid=254&aid=3&GSA_AC_More3

So, what is one to do? Why, check the KB articles for any available updates, which just so happens to be worldwide. There we'll find the Download for Windows Media Player 11 parked at the very top of this section. For those of us without WMP11 pre-loaded, we'd want to go ahead and download this version since there is no more information regarding the restoration of media on the "N" version; hold of on download and installation.

With some more searching, via Google, we can come across this MSDN article and this newsgroup..

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969687.aspx

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29228473/re-windows-vista-busines.aspx

Wherein a Microsoft employ tries to verify and understand why users who want Media capability choose a "Not with Windows media player" license. Moreover, we find out details pertaining to a "Media Restore Pack"; which at the time was unavailable.

Until now..

http://www.laboratoire-microsoft.or...-media-restore-pack-wmp11-madd0-ismawell.html

Being that I'm an American, unable to read French, I needed to find this information elsewhere..

So this is the best that I could come up with...

http://www.uksmbgirl.co.uk/blog/archives/164

As I do not have a 'N' Version of Vista, nor am I able to set up another system with the "N" versions of Vista, I'm unable to test the credibility of any information contained herein. I'm also offering this information "AS IS" since none of the fixes contained in any of the links are of my own design, thought or conception.

It is clear many customers and 3rd party licenser's are confused about the differences in these version. It would be easy to hold Microsoft responsible for this err, but in all reality the EU could have backed off and realized that a customer, even with Windows own Media tools, is free to install and use any software on their system they so desire..

This post is open for discussion and remedy by any user currently working with any version of Microsoft Windows x "N"; where x is any of the featured versions -- Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, ultimate. I hope that some light has been shed on the subject matter, you find it useful or this issue will soon become null and void.

I would like to be the first to thank you for taking the time to try and clear up some of the confusion that has been responsible for some of the bickering going on lately.

I appreciate it, and again, thank you.

Ok I can now see through the animosity and realise you really are out to help users. Therefore I will try not to give you a hard time.

In answer to your question about WMP usage on N version, the said situation can occur if you work for a client who has made his purchase not realizing that the N version can lead to malfunction on certain media applications that rely on MS components. The initial line of thinking may be 'I need only the business aspects of the OS' which will turn into realization that in order to make training videos for the business you end up needing the core functionality of the WMP, at least on the tool you chose for the job (or your employer had licensed for it).

I hope this clears it out.

I hope this clears it out.
And I hope in the future, if you come across an issue, give out as many details as you can. As I've said in other threads, many problems are known, and have workarounds. You just have to ask nicely, and help us help you. Had you mentioned right aay you were using the N versino...dot_Zen probably would have had this info ready to give you.

So, that being said, just remember to work with us. Many of us used to come here to get help, and now we're trying to do the same for others. Help us help you, as the golden rule once was. You can't give us too many details, although telling us what you had for lunch today isn't going to help....but you know what I mean.

Therefore I will try not to give you a hard time.

Eh, no problem. This is really for anyone who may come to these forums and type in specific keywords via the search function. But also for anyone currently dealing with this issue.

I'd have to agree with the MS employee, if your client made a bad choice I'd contact a MSFT Rep with or without the 3rd party vendor and have the license corrected.

It's great that they offer a "Restore Pack" but if ppl wanted media functionality to begin with than the 'N' version shouldn't be for them.

I'd also probably fire the 3rd party vendor as they don't seem to do the job they were paid to do.

Back