Windows Vista Ultimate 64 OEM: Is it possible to clone/migrate?

Eggothewaffle

Limp Gawd
So, I have my OS (Vista 64) installed on a rather slow and quite old 400GB hard drive.

What's the easiest software to to clone it and migrate over to a 640GB drive?

Do I have to worry about Windows reactivation or anything? I have an OEM version of Vista 64 so I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

As I found out the other day, if you go to the Backup and Restore Center in Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can do a "Complete PC backup" which is pretty much a image of the OS drive that can then be loaded (completely overwriting) a new installation you make - restoring through the same utility...

I've only done the first step of this so far, haven't actually done a restore, but the image will be almost as large as the used space on your system drive, so you'll need somewhere to stall it while you install the other OS...

I guess you could store it on the 640GB drive, then once you've done a temp install of Windows on it copy it back to the 400GB and restore from there - but that's quite cumbersome.

Your new drive (or you can download it from the mfg) will give you a clone tool. You just plug both drives in, use the tool to clone to the new one (usually a bootable cd), then make the new one the primary.

If you are only concerned about the OS, why not just do a clean install.

In the last two months, I changed motherboards three times and bought a new HDD as well.

I loaded up a fresh install each time.
I had to call Microsoft each time to activate the OS, but never had any problems and only interacted with a computer. (that spoke perfect english):D

You can do that with an OEM key?

Type in the key.
Call the 800 number.
Computer asks you "how many computers is this installed on?"

You say: none.

Computer gives you the activation.

Maybe you have to talk to "Dave" in India. He'll ask the same thing. I offered no other information than, I need to activate my Vista.

Dave said ok.

Dave is actually a name in India. It's just pronounced Dah-vay :)

So it doesn't matter that I've already activated it on the old hard drive? Interesting.

Dave is actually a name in India. It's just pronounced Dah-vay :)

So it doesn't matter that I've already activated it on the old hard drive? Interesting.

Tomato........to-mat-toe........Dave just isn't the same in Indian-english.

Anyway.......you should be able to activate that OS again without any problems.
It's the same basic game that was the case with XP.......call in, talk to "Dave", and he'll hook you up.
They are either too busy or too tired to argue with you.;)

OEM is tied to one computer, and one computer always. Upgrading the hard drive, doesn't constitute a new computer, so there wouldn't be any issue with needing to reactivate. The lines blur as to what constitues a new computer, but I can promise you that a hard drive swap doesn't count. If so, you'd need to buy a new license if your hard drive died in an OEM system.

OEM is tied to one computer, and one computer always. .

close... The oem license is actually tied to the orginal motherboard..
if you have questions you can look here in the hard forum you can upgrade any part of the system without worrying with the exception of the motherboard..but that exception is based on you upgrading the motherboard "just because you want to" . for example if you just want a new mobo then its illegal.. but if your mobo dies and you cant replace it with the "exact same" one then you can use a new one. that being said, how would microsoft ever know.. they wouldnt but its a personel question of your level of morals if you do it anyway..

if you have questions you can look here in the hard forum you can upgrade any part of the system without worrying with the exception of the motherboard..but that exception is based on you upgrading the motherboard "just because you want to" . for example if you just want a new mobo then its illegal.. but if your mobo dies and you cant replace it with the "exact same" one then you can use a new one. that being said, how would microsoft ever know.. they wouldnt but its a personel question of your level of morals if you do it anyway..

That is correct, however I don't see a conflict at all (just my opinion) if you upgrade your computer; including mainboard, and desire to use your OEM copy of widows whatever there should be no conflict......as long (ethically speaking) as you only have that copy installed on one computer.

I have swapped out mainboards any number of times and reinstalled my windows whatever right back in (fresh install) many times the copy is instantly activated and others it requires a phone call.

I must have at least four OEM XPs, two OEM MCEs and one each OEM Vista x64 and one retail Vista x64.........Bill has plenty of my dough.......he was kind enough to give me a free copy of Windows 7.

If you look at the licensing agreements, it is tied to the computer. The motherboard is what has been used loosely to define the computer, however, but in keeping with the verbose, it is tied to the computer that was purchased with the license.

Back