Windows wont boot and trying to install goes to BSOD. HDD is fine in Linux.

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Here are the symptoms on this Dell XPS machine that was running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

The first thing that started to go wrong was that when the machine would try to boot into windows it would get to the point right after the Windows startup logo would appear and then his a BSOD over a bad_pool_caller which I think is related to a driver or registry issue from searching the Google.

Safe mode would load to the desktop where I could see the mouse and then go right into a BSOD.

Last known good configuration would BSOD as well.

I ran the Dell system utilities on the utility partition and everything checked on fine with memory and hardware. I tried booting up the system with one stick of ram and then again with the other. BSOD. Tried disconnecting the CD and DVD drives, BSOD.

I tried loading up a Windows bootable image I have, that was able to load up fine. When I tried to load the registry in for remote cleaning it went straight to BSOD.

I loaded both a Media Center and XP Pro install cd. Everything started off okay but then it got to a point where it says "System is starting Windows" or something and then went to a BSOD.

I loaded up a Knoppix live image, it was able to boot fine and I could browse the HDD with no issue. I first renamed all windows related stuff to ORIGINAL.foldername and tried to install Windows again, same BSOD.

I went back to Knoppix, took the entire contents of the HDD and dumped it into a single folder called old. Went back into the Windows installer and after it loaded all the drivers and pre install stuff the "System is starting Windows" message was the last thing before a BSOD.

Here are some screen shots I have found..

This is the last thing I see before the message at the bottom says the starting windows thing.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/installxpnew1_3.htm

I never get to this:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/installxpnew1_4.htm

Between the first and second link there the thing BSODs on whatever XP version I try to install.

Run a memtest86 loop and see if that catches anything. Past that, I'd still suspect dying hard drive. Other than that, it'd betough to figure out what's failing without a crash dump.

Back