Windows XP - Activation Failure

Washuu

Limp Gawd
I setup windows xp on my sister's newly built computer, I did everything perfectly well, then went to go activate, it was saying no connection at first, then it finally took the cd-key, then after restarting the computer it says that it needs to activate, so you click the balloon, it gives up its prompt, then it says it is already activated, you click ok and it goes away.

Well now its past that 30 day grace period, and it is acting like it was never activated, login off windows everytime you fail to activate, which you can't activate because it says it was already activated.

Don't know the phone number since the activation window is bugged, it won't let you get that far, it just defaults to " you have already activated "

I don't know you, or where you got your software, but this sounds like a hack gone wrong. Where did you get the CD? Is it an actual Microsoft or OEM install disk (if OEM is this the computer it came with), and if so, is the key the one that came with it? Knowing whether or not this is a real copy would go a long way towards helping you.

You might try the following:

Begin the install process.
Do not format any partitions
Opt to "Upgrade" the existing install (you may have to tell it to install on C: before this)

This will create a clean Windows install without damaging My Docs / programs / data / etc. I don't know if it resets the activation, but it's a decent fallback option.

I hoped there was another way, oh well, Just have to ship a copy of windows to another country for my sister and painfully getting someone who has no idea what they are doing to do that.

Thx for the help anyways.

you can always change some hardware so it makes you activate again. or change your Volume Serial Number and that will kick off a new activation. Or simply to the upgrade thing, can't you only do that from windows when you are logged on? i forget

What is Volume Serial Number? This is a Shuttle case, and I don't want to bother switching stuff to change the hardware physically.

Washuu said:
What is Volume Serial Number? This is a Shuttle case, and I don't want to bother switching stuff to change the hardware physically.

the one that is created for your hard drive when you install windows, just call them though

Back