Windows XP disk

Heres the short story.

My fathers Dell is going nuts, it might be drivers, it might be codecs it might be viruses but it will not stay on for more than 5 mins outside of Safe Mode.

The problem is that he can't find the Windows disk. :rolleyes:
Dell currently doesn't give you a disk unless you pay them $10 but they do allow you to burn a disk off of Windows. Is this doable for a older Dell, or is this a Windows trick? And more importantly is this doable in Safe Mode? I have tried everything (system restore, uninsalled all codecs that were giving off errors, rolled back drivers), but nothing works. I really dont want to purchase Win XP for this thing and am just wondering if I can get it burn a disk of XP.

will it work on an older dell? I guess the better question is will it do it in safe mode and the answer is ??? I've never tried to burn in safe mode, but I wont hold my breath..

Have you ran spybot/adaware/antivirus from safe mode?

I think you can use a regular XP disk, slipstream to SP2 and tweak it to install on your Dell as OEM version with your license, give this link a read and see if it helps.

If mods thinks its incorrect/illegal please remove link

good luck

oldmx

as long as the key works, it dosent matter whose media you use, but you will have to call for activation because, you cant activate the dell via the internet after feb of this year

I might not have been too clear in my first post.

1. I dont have the Windows CD, so slipstreaming is irrelavant.
2. This is what I was talking about in regards to burning a Back-Up CD. Although I am not home now, so I cant do it.

as long as the key works, it dosent matter whose media you use, but you will have to call for activation because, you cant activate the dell via the internet after feb of this year

So I can use my cousins Windows XP CD (he just got a Dell) with my CD key? All I want to do is reinstall Windows. I have the key, I have the frickin Dell, I just need a Windows CD to reinstall Windows and be done with it.

Well, you're right in the fact that legally it doesn't matter what CD you use as long as you have the key. The problem is that your key will only work with certain OEM versions of XP.

The easiest way out of your mess is to give dell the whopping $10 for the OS CD and be done with it.

ninethreeeleven said:
So I can use my cousins Windows XP CD (he just got a Dell) with my CD key? All I want to do is reinstall Windows. I have the key, I have the frickin Dell, I just need a Windows CD to reinstall Windows and be done with it.

Like I said . .As long as it takes the key your fine.. There are disks that wont.. retail vs corporate vs oem ..

you should be fine..

I should add that this computer is probably 2 years old. Its not new, and Dell wasn't doing the "$10 for a CD" BS then. Thats why I dont know if the burn-windows-cd-from-windows trick will work. And it really sucks because I am at work.

Just burn/use your friends disk. It's all OEM, so it's perfectly legal.

Or pay $10 to Dell, you're making this harder on yourself than it needs to be. ;)

I would happily pay $10 to Dell, but that is only for new disks (new purchases) not sure if that holds true to prior purchases.

Back