Windows XP lockups

Josh_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi everyone,

I have a question about Windows XP. Unfortunately, at my work we are in a situation where we need to dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows XP. (I say unfortunate, mostly because this will increase the image size significantly...)

I have Windows 2000 and XP booting successfully from the NTLDR that came with XP. Windows 2000 boots beautifully, and after running cleanmgr, disk defrag, doing all the updates, running bootvis and installing IAA, it is very, very fast.

Windows XP, on the other hand, freezes during startup at the "Welcome" screen. Even if I start in safe mode / VGA mode, it appears to be a problem. I've run memtest, checked the hard drives, tried running a repair from the Win XP Pro CD-ROM... etc etc, but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have had the same problem, and it turned out to be boot vis that caused everything.

for somereason it doesnt like you dual booting.

Originally posted by r3tude
I have had the same problem, and it turned out to be boot vis that caused everything.

for somereason it doesnt like you dual booting.

Thanks for the response, but this was happening even before I ran bootvis :(

Originally posted by Zwitterion
Maybe there's a problem with the hardware in XP that doesn't happen in 2000.

Hmm... I'll check when I get to work tomorrow, but even so, this XP image was created using the exact same machine... I don't see how it could've forgotten what hardware was in the machine. :confused:

I think when I get to work tomorrow, I'll go and do an enable bootlogging deal, and see what comes up....

Back