Windows XP pro video issue

Killermac

[H]ard|Gawd
OK I am a decent tech but this one has me a little baffled. Here is the problem, I have a machine that is running windows 2000 pro, and I installed windows XP pro as a second OS. Now the install went fine but when the machine restarts I see the lovely windows XP pro progress bar then a screen that says Recommend 1280 X 1024 and then my screen goes black. I restart and choose XP again this time I hit F8 and start in safe mode with networking, and XP goes into that just fine. I check over the device manager I found no issues with !!!! next to any of the devices. The video card is a Matrox Productiva G100 I went to the matrox site and downloaded the newest drivers and installed them. when I restart the same thing happens. When I go into display properties I go the settings and change it to 1024x768 and use 32 bit but it defaults back to 640x480 with 16bit. I went into the advanced under settings on the display properties and clicked adapter tab, clicked list all modes and chose 1024X768 with 60HZ and the display keeps in windows then upon restart it does the same thing all over again. My only choice is to start in safe mode. The card has no issues under windows 2K pro and runs just fine in 32 but with 1024x768. I think I might just have to get a new "cheaper video card for that system" If anyone has a suggestion please let me know what else I can try.

KM

Well what resolution is it in safemode? Sounds to me like your monitor doesn't support that resolution. Have you run it at that resolution before?

This is going to sound a bit wierd, and I'm sure there is an easy fix, but what the hell...

Boot the machine, wait until you know it's a the login box.
Login, yeah you can't see it, but you know the keys right? Crtl-Alt-Del, PW <enter>
Wait for the desktop to load and the HDD to slow down.
Move the mouse to the top right part of the screen, yes I realize you can't see it, but do it.
Right click and hit "r" this should open the display properties.
Hit Shift+tab, this will take you into the tabed section of display properties.
Hit the right arrow key several times (number of tabs depends on the driver), settings is always the far right one.
Hit Tab, this should move the cursor to the screen resolution.
Hit the left arrow key several times, this should move the cursor to the lowest setting.

Good Luck.

Back