Windows XP Responding to Kerberos Requests?

StarTrek4U

Gawd
Today at our company we encountered an issue where some clients would not map their network drives when they logged on to our network. After some researching it turns out one of our client workstations was receiving the Kerberos logon requests, the affected clients received the following in the event viewer:

The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server workstation$. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (ourdomain.com), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.

The workstation above is the system which other clients were attempting to contact. I have removed the problem machine from the network and am right now in the process of diagnostics but am wondering if anyone has any insight into this? The things I'm finding relate to rouge servers and bad DC's for errors like this. Since we are a financial institution we've forced all of our clients to reboot and change their passwords as a precaution but I'm not really finding a reason as to why this occurred.

If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

Back