Windows XP SP2 Authorization

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Near the end of August I bought a new PC, and with that came XP SP2. I was unaccustomed to the "Windows Authorization" or whatever it's called, and when I removed my DVD-ROM, it said I needed to reauthorize. I tried to via the program, but it said my CD key was wrong and my XP would expire in 3 days. So I put my DVD ROM back in and it went away, never to bother me again.

However, I want to remove my floppy drive and pop in a backup HDD. I think it'll do the reauthorization thing again, and I'd rather not deal with it. Is there a way I can disable it or make it work via the program legally? As I said, I'd rather do it via the program that pops up instead of calling up Customer Support, but the program doesn't recognize my CD key as legal (but it is).

Thanks.

That's really wierd. That means the install on your computer isn't matched to your key. Was it preinstalled or something? It must have been. How could you have done it by yourself otherwise? You wouldn't have gotten past the installation. Odd.

Well, I was trying to install the heatsink on my CPU and my dad, who basically financed my PC, forced me to take it to Best Buy's "Geek Squad" to have it built. He went alone, and instead of letting me install everything else except the heatsink, made them put all of it together. They installed Windows 98, and then the Windows XP SP2 upgrade (so I would only have to pay $100 for an OS), and that was that.

The serial code should work. I don't know why it doesn't...

I don't know either. Did they get COAs mixed up or something? heh

COA?

If you're referring to the installation CD, I don't think so, since the case was opened and they seemed to have used that CD. I don't know, I might have to call them or whatnot and see, if no one else can help me here.

This really sucks, too, since I wanted to install that other HDD today. :rolleyes:

The COA is the Certificate of Authenticity that they have to place on the machine. It has the CD key on it usually (although not always).

Ah. Yeah, the COA is inside the case where XP SP2 came in. The sticker's placed very lightly above where the CD goes.

I wonder if they got two copies mixed up? I admit the chances aren't very good. The other thing they could have done is used a different CD and key to install it, then handed your dad the disk and COA you have now.

I don't think the chances are good of that, because why would they install from a different CD? Is there a way to check my CD key via my computer to see if it matches with my COA?

They could have mixed the CDs up with another customer's, but I don't know how they have things organized back there and whether or not it'd be possible to misplace or mistake a CD for another.

Something doesn't sound right with your story DanMattia, the first post you say XPSP2 came with your PC, and then you say your dad took the parts to Best Buy and had them assemble it. Could you elaborate a bit more on what happened and when? Is this a custom built or major OEM system?

There is a chance BB Geek squad improperly installed and licensed the XPSP2 software and thus causing your issues.

Use Magic Jellybean finder to pull the keycode from your registry and compare it with the keycode on the COA, if this is a generic machine, the keys should match.

I bought all the parts from NewEgg to build the PC myself. I was installing the heatsink and it wouldn't work, then I thought I broke it and I got angry. My dad, knowing my anger, decided to take it to the BB GS to have them install the heatsink. I couldn't go with him because I had to go to an orientation at school, so I couldn't make any decisions past there.

Instead of just having them install the heatsink like I told him to, he made them install everything. When it came time for the OS, they asked me what I wanted. I said XP, so they said that I could save $100 or something by getting the XP upgrade to 98 instead of buying the full XP. So I had them install 98, and then the XP upgrade.

The PC's definietly not OEM. And I do have the Windows XP CD with me that I bought from Best Buy. They did open the CD case because the security seal was broken. The COA sticker is inside, as well.

Thanks for the tip on the Magic Jellybean thing--heading off to Google for it now.

Edit: Just ran MJF, and the CD Key was matching with my COA.

Well, if they match there goes my theory and with it any possible ideas of what might be going on. Do a search through the KB articles at Microsoft and see what you come up with.

Yeah, I just checked; can't really find anything.

Guess I'm going to have to call the tech. support people when the key doesn't work :mad:

I hate having to prove I'm not lying...

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Back