Windows XP SP2 problem

Swat

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I decided to give SP2 a try. I installed everything correctly and the download and install went with out a flaw. I reboot my comp as I was prompted too , when it rebooted I now get this message "Windows could not start because the follow file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I do have a legit copy of WindowsXP that I bought, I'm just hoping someone may have a thought or suggestion as to what I should do. Formatting is of course the LAST resort cause I have a lot to lose if I go that route. Thanks ahead of time :)

ComputerBox34 said:
Did you try booting in safe mode?

Yeah , I tried that and it starts loading for safe mode then the same message appears. :confused:

See if this might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

Also, Here is a quote from another document.

Note that if you use the option to back up the registry when you create an ERD, Backup also creates updated copies of the registry files in the %SystemRoot%\Repair\Regback folder. If you cannot start Windows 2000 after you edit the registry, you can manually replace the registry files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Config folder with the copies in the %SystemRoot%\Repair\Regback folder by using Recovery Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanks a lot so far, I found this article and only made it to part one. I copied the new files over like it stated and when I went to boot up in safe mode I'd get the message (after everything loads and boots into windows), that "Windows can not run under safemode". So we've triumphed one problem and now I'm running into another. Thanks again, and if anyone else has a suggestion I'd be much appreciated cause a fresh format is looking like my only option so far. I hope not though

im sorry that i can't help you. i just wanted to let you know my experience: i upgraded to sp2 from sp1. i had so many problems that i had to reformat. however, i made a slipstreamed sp2 disk and reformatted with that. my machine has been running great ever since then.

Back