Windows XP SP2

Sc0rched

Gawd
I have been using SP1 for awhile, and keep putting off upgrading to SP2 because of the problems it was giving earlier. Does it still have major flaws in the OS, or should I finally upgrade to SP2?

I dont know what problems you were having, but i have it now and i have not one problem with it. I love the pop up blocker built into IE. :)

1) search
2) SP2 has not changed since release, so stalling won't help you
3) Provided you sweep for viruses / spyware first, SP2 won't mess up your system
4) It's a security update, you have no good reason for not installing it.

lomn75 said:
1) search
3) Provided you sweep for viruses / spyware first, SP2 won't mess up your system

Amen
:D

lomn75 said:
1) search

Amen brotha'

You know,
This thing with sp2 threads has gotten so old that i just click on any posts about it to see if anyone has come up with any new explanation about why sp2 sucks.... :rolleyes:

I installed it when they had limited distribution before windows update.

To be safe, I made a restore point and installed it.

No problems, I dont see what all the fuss is about unless you have a weird version of Norton Internet Security which seems to muck up. No norton, no problems here...

I think I need to get my glasses fixed, because I know I couldn't POSSIBLY be reading another goddamn thread asking if SP2 is safe to install? Maybe my monitor is going bad. There just couldn't be another SP2 thread...nope...not here.

djnes said:
I think I need to get my glasses fixed, because I know I couldn't POSSIBLY be reading another goddamn thread asking if SP2 is safe to install? Maybe my monitor is going bad. There just couldn't be another SP2 thread...nope...not here.
Nice... :D

djnes said:

Hah hah hah. Classic.

lomn75 said:
1) search
5) It was never broken.
Fixed. ;)

To be safe, I made a restore point and installed it.
To be safe, SP2 does that as well.

"Hey, installed SP2...everything works fine....how 'bout them Eagles" This was a joke made (by djnes, of course) about the many SP2 threads, posted:08-19-2004, 02:22 PM. That's right, over 2 months ago. :p

I am so tempted to start another SP2 thread. Because you know when something is incredibly annoying but it keeps going and going until eventually you just have to laugh because its gone beyond that point? Like when you move the car forward while your wife is trying to get in. You do it twice and you laugh and she laughs, but then you do it again and maybe she doesn't laugh but you laugh twice as hard as the first two. Then beyond all reason YOU KEEP GOING and soon you are in tears from laughing so hard... And then you do it again! Wait, what was my point?

Well I did install SP2 but then all of a sudden my PC went weird, like going from ~10s to shutdown to 3-4 minutes and then one day it stopped booting into Windows (says it was missing some files) so now after reinstalling I've just decided to stick with SP1 and Autopatcher. TBH I don't really care about Internet Explorer or Outlook, as I use Firefox and Thunderbird and I'm running faster on SP1 than I was with SP2 (well it seems faster to me). Also I don't get DEP annoying me every time I try to play Counterstrike. Frankly I'd rather be vulnerable than having these things annoy me, as nothign ever happened to me when I was rollin on SP1 and fully updated (that is until something bad happens :p).

ReNeGaDe* said:
I didn't have problems with SP1 before holes patched in SP2 were found, so now I've decided that new holes can never cause problems for me even if I don't patch them
I've rewritten your post for you to cull out the extra info.

Besides, if there's any time that a service pack install can cause the least problems, it's on a fresh install.

Meh my original SP2 install was on a fresh install and I am just not a big fan of it. Next time there's some major hole or virus (a la blaster) I may then go back to SP2, but for now I'm sticking.

ReNeGaDe* said:
Meh my original SP2 install was on a fresh install and I am just not a big fan of it. Next time I'm infected, and have sent 1 billion spam e-mails, also infecting every unpatched machine on the internet, I may then go back to SP2, but for now I'm sticking.

Fixed.

Back