WindowsXP Pro & Hyperthreading Help

visick

2[H]4U
Not sure if this should be in the Mohterboard forum or in here...
If it belongs in the mobo forum, mods please move this. Thanks...

Ok, I'm at a loss on what to do next.
I just picked up a 3.0GHZ Intel cpu, for my IWill P4HT board. (Supports HT)
I was running a 1.6ghz chip.

Video: Sapphire 9600XT
Ram: Crucial 512mb PC2100

That's all that I'm going with right now.

I've formatted and installed 3X and still cannot get HT to work in WinXP Pro.
Only 1 CPU shows up in the perfomance tab of Task Manager.

HT is enabled in the BIOS too.

I can install XP without any problems at all. I've got 2 80gb WD 8mb drives connected to a Promise TX4 Raid card (on IDE 1/2) and 2 Maxtor 40gb drives on IDE 3/4. All drives are recognized and working fine.

When I boot up, the chip is recognized as 1.5 (100 X 15.0)
then the next line shows it as a 3.0 ghz cpu. I can go into the BIOS and make changes so that the chip shows up both times as 3.0ghz, but it doesn't change anything.

The IWill mobo manual doesn't help nor does their crappy tech support or forum.

Please someone help B4 the PC goes flying out the window..

Thanks
visick

your board doesnt support CPU's with an 800mhz FSB

heres a clip from IWILL

P4HT
• Supports 533 MHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
• Intel® 845PE chipset
• Supports up to 2GB DDR333/266 SDRAM
• 10/100 Fast Ethernet controller
• ATA/133
• FI Series motherboard

btw your memory should probably be replaced as well

So I can't utilize the HT unless...?

I replace the board?
Can I use the HT with a slower CPU?

You won't get HT unless you get the 3.06 Ghz P4 HT chip with the 533 Mhz FSB, OR get a motherboard that supports 800 Mhz FSB.

I'm very confused here. If you have the 3.06 Ghz (@533) then you should be able to get HT to work. If you have the 3.00 Ghz (@800) then how the hell are you getting it to run in your board? Wouldn't the fact that it probably doesn't boot tell you the proc is wrong? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see how you could boot, let alone install XP 3 times with a C class P4 on an 845 Board.

Which 3 Ghz processor do you have?

I've got the 800 flavor.

The boards boots up fine. Never had any problems booting up.

Upon boot up, the cpu is running @ 1.5ghz, BUT identified as a 3.0ghz cpu.

I think I'm out of luck and need a 800mhz fsb board.

I have a p4 2.6 ghz w/ HT and 2x256 MB Geli ram...do you have to enable HT? I thought it just automaticly did it :confused:

You don't need to enable HT most of the time. It's usually enabled by default in BIOS. Usually...

BillLeeLee said:
You don't need to enable HT most of the time. It's usually enabled by default in BIOS. Usually...

Yeah, I've always had it automatically enabled.

I think you need a new board, that's cheaper (and better) than buying a 533 mhz proc. Or you could just keep it how it is... as it seems to be running all right...I guess.

iha said:
I have a p4 2.6 ghz w/ HT and 2x256 MB Geli ram...do you have to enable HT? I thought it just automaticly did it :confused:

It should tell you on the POST screen when your PC boots up. You can also go into the BIOS and check to see if it's set to Enabled, and, if your running XP, you should have 2 processors listed in Device Manager. If your running anything other than XP, Intel recommends disabling HT as it may lead to some instabilities on some systems.

stumpy said:
Yeah, I've always had it automatically enabled.

I think you need a new board, that's cheaper (and better) than buying a 533 mhz proc. Or you could just keep it how it is... as it seems to be running all right...I guess.

I wouldn't call a 50% underclock "running right". That's an incredible waste of money

Get a new board....something with an 865 chipset would give you great performance, for not much money. And, as a word of advice...when it comes to buying computer parts...do your reading and research before you buy to make sure everything your buying is compatible. It will save a lot of time and headache.

djnes said:
It should tell you on the POST screen when your PC boots up. You can also go into the BIOS and check to see if it's set to Enabled, and, if your running XP, you should have 2 processors listed in Device Manager. If your running anything other than XP, Intel recommends disabling HT as it may lead to some instabilities on some systems.

I use XP Pro. And it does list 2 in the device manager. Thanks. :D

Back