Wintel vs. Apple

Maniacmous

Gawd
My big issue...with college coming up, I need a laptop that's good on battery life. It also has to be (relatively) inexpensive. This leaves me pretty much with only two options - Pentium M based or Apple.

Thus far, I've whittled it down to two options: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-142&depa=3

or an Apple iBook G4 1ghz with 256MB RAM.

Both are said to deliver 4-5 hours of battery life, and if I get the iBook, I can get an iPod (20 gigs) with it ending up as only about 20 dollars more than the Acer.

Up until now, I've been mostly a Windows guy (though I have a dual boot WinXP Pro/Debian box that I use as my gaming rig - yes, it'll be going too). So the question is - do I make the jump to Mac and have to learn another new OS, or just go with the Pentium M based Acer above. Opinions?

I've only heard one person in my life other than you use the phrase "Wintel"... my Physics teacher Mr. Vanderway, whose class I checked out of yesterday. No more Physics for me...

Anyways, go with a Pentium M based notebook or just get yourself a Powerbook.

As it stands, I'm hitting the upper range of what I want to spend for a notebook, so the PowerBooks are def. out.

As for making a quick LAN on campus...that won't really be an issue, LAN parties really aren't big on OSU's campus - not compared with X-box LAN's anyway, there is no place with space ample enough to do one.

As for the whole Wintel thing - I think its something I picked up off of the Inquirer. Thanks for the input though guys, appreciate it. ;)

What are your plans for school? Is this laptop going to be for taking notes and writing papers or for development and heavy graphics editing? Many companies offer educational discounts for laptops.

Look as an apple fan myself please listen when I say stay away from iBooks. They are nice system don't get me wrong but the power books are built to a different standard. Thats why you see powerbooks from 2000 still selling for 800 dollars. If you want a full break down of every little thing I can point it out to you but if you have the money go after a Ti Powerbook or an early AL. They may be more but with a mac the iBooks do not have the features the Powerbooks have and using one full time you will notice there is a big difference. I can help you as a member of many mac forums find a Powerbook G4 in the price range you want, an iPod to (just got rid of mine) So please if you are interest and you want to spend go for the Powerbook, you will never be sorry I have owned the first iBook G4 and it was a nice laptop but the Powerbook was much much better.

cuzzle said:
What are your plans for school? Is this laptop going to be for taking notes and writing papers or for development and heavy graphics editing? Many companies offer educational discounts for laptops.

Plans are just basically for notes and basic paper writing (for graphics work and such, I have my main box, which will prob. be replaced for next year, but currently has an Athlon XP at 2.4ghz, 1gig of RAM, 120gig hard drive and a 9800 Pro). So essentially, this one just has to last forever, but not be completely slow (which is why I've avoided all things related to Celeron).

Cross - I very much appreciate the offer as well as the heads up on the PowerBook vs. iBook thing (I'll have to remember that), but I think I'll just stick with Windows for the time being. I'll wait to get into Mac until they come out with a PowerBook G5 (might be awhile I know, due to the extreme heat issues and such, but we can hope can't we?).

ibooks are built much better than powerbooks, IMO.
the single button touchpads piss me off to no end though :)

Either laptop would be fine. I personaly hate the chipset video on the acer but thats just me. One thing you should look at though is size. The apple is smaller so it will be better to drag around from class to class if you don't mind the smaller screen.

Back