Winxp home OEM and motherboard swap = bad key?

mustang_steve

c[H]ewbacca
Yep, I upgraded my mobo (about time...the old codger finally bit the dust), and now when i get to activation, it tells me my Key is invalid and I need to give it a new key.

What the heck is that? As far as my knowledge goes this is a legit key (bought the OEM disc off newegg), and I never distributed it. So what's up? Is this just another obtuse way to say "call them"?

When you first activated your XP that key was linked to the HAL on the computer, when you changed the mobo you changed the HAL, so yes you will need to call MS. If you talk to them and say the right things they will generate you a new key for free ;)

yep trying to talk to them right now.

Bad part...I currently have strep throat, so my voice is crap

Other badd part...this tool on the line needs to stop breathing onto the mic, and needs to read the freaking number....I hung up on him....time for round two, if my voice can hold through it again.

EDIT: got it, the girl who dealt with it this time was pretty professional, asked the questions (none of which the last guy asked for before trying to hand out a partial number sequence, then just stopping altogether), and gave me my id...I had to laugh at part of it being "666" though :p

what number are you calling to get a live person? I keep getting the recording but I need to talk to someone about my OEM key.

the 800# from the activation window

Pretty much you have to do that stupid clusters of numbers bit to get a live person at all....it's pretty annoying.

that sucks. I enter the huge number and it says my prod key isn't entered correcly (which is BS because otherwise it wouldnt have let me install windows anyway). then it basically says "sorry" and hangs up.

I guess email them then.

I have no clue what would make windows do that.....the pains of activation (aka, MS thinks everyone's a freaking thief)...would be nice to not have this crap anymore.

Back