WinXP Time Keeps Changing

mainomega

Weaksauce
Hello everyone here is my problem:

Initially I had no problems with the time, but after 4 weeks the windows time keeps changing. Sometimes it'll change the hour or the day and some times it'll change the year. My first thought was the cmos battery so I changed it. Wake up this morning to find that the time is correct, load MCE and turns out the time is correct but the year is 2004.

I thought it might be a virus/bad install so I installed WinXP (non-MCE) but same problem. The time changes regardless if I powerdown or leave it on standby. Its getting really annoying as I almost missed recording yesterdays F1 race.

Please help me !

Have you checked that your timezone settings are correct? If windows tries to sync with a timeserver, it may make a large change if your timezone is not correct.

Yea, checked that. Would overclocking do anything ? MY FSB is at 250 (from 200) but the system is stable.

Overclocking shouldn't effect it, unless something has been damaged by heat or voltage.

It could also be that your power supply isn't giving steady power. When you say standby, do you mean actual standby-mode, or just that you walk away from an the computer? I ask becasue it may not be giving the same power to your clock during periods of inactivity.

yea, it's the actual standy mode. The voltages all look good and steady in the bios so i dont know what the reason is.

mainomega said:
yea, it's the actual standy mode. The voltages all look good and steady in the bios so i dont know what the reason is.

The symptoms really still sound like battery, but since you changed it I'm trying not to consider it.

As an experiment, disable standby-mode, and see if it still looses time when allowed to idle overnight. The hd and monitor power-saving stuff is fine, but just disable any standby/sleep/hibernate modes.

mainomega said:
Yea, checked that. Would overclocking do anything ? MY FSB is at 250 (from 200) but the system is stable.

Set the OC back to stock and see if the problem goes away. Then you'll know if it's the OC. ;)

my shuttle runs 30 seconds fast every 5 mins. Its also my mce2005 box which doesnt help. I have setup the sync with boulder co every 5 mins now or my shows get cut off.

After leaving the box on over night the time didn't change today. I'm going to see if leaving it on standby mode will change it.

BTW, how do you set up the 5min time check ?

you can edit the reg to update when ever you want. Its normaly daily but i found out the key searching a mce forum.

Ok, so it is a hardware issue. During a heatsink swap i turned off the power supply switch, upon restart I check the BIOS and it reset to jan 1 2005. I changed it with a brand new battery and i still have that problem. Would it then be something big or just the battery contacts not fully clamped on it? Wouldn't standby still use the power supply juice and not the battery ?

It is probably like you say, the battery may not be connected well. It could be the connectors, it could be the mount point on the motherboard, it could be an upside-down battery. You'll just have to poke around and see.

I have this problem too, every minute the time on my XP box changes. One minute it will be 10:20, the next 10:21, then 10:22 and so forth. It's very frustrating.

Hvatum said:
I have this problem too, every minute the time on my XP box changes. One minute it will be 10:20, the next 10:21, then 10:22 and so forth. It's very frustrating.

ha....... ha....... ha ?

Back