WinXP to Vista?

Kathy

Limp Gawd
I just installed WinXP on a new HD so that I could upgrade to Vista home prem. Do I need to activate XP before I install Vista. I won't be duel booting, it will be Vista only on this HD. Also I installed SP2 on XP, do I need to get all the updates for it before I upgrade? Thanks! :)

Kathy

Just run the Vista setup from inside XP and your good to go, no activation or updates neccissary.

Just as an FYI for future knowledge... You don't technically need to have XP installed on your system before installing the upgrade version of Vista.

Boot to the Vista DVD and you can install Vista without entering a Product Key. Just make sure to select the same version you own. ie if you have home premium, select home premium from the installation menu.

Once Vista is installed, run the install again from within Vista.

I find this method is a little faster and you don't have to swap out media.

Catweazle's a pretty good guy, so if you had any issues with it, I'm sure he'd respond to a PM.

Hey thanks everyone! Thats a lot of good information. I was tempted to buy another Vista and this time get the full install version just because the upgrade path was a pain. So this is really cool! :) Thanks again!

Kathy

Back