Wire tuck question

Tehbolt

Limp Gawd
First off, i have never tried to hide my wireing..its always been on huge mess, last night i figured what the hell i'll try it, so i took apart my CM Cavalier and begin the nightmare:cool:

I just have one question, is it safe for me to be tucking some wire's under the mobo?

also any tips would be welcomed :)

as long as they're not exposed, it's generally okay. I tend to shy away from routing power cables under the mobo to prevent any errant inductive coupling. but, most cables should be able to be safely routed that way.

Yeah, its just a few cables from the PSU that needed to get to the bottem of the bored, they are still in the lovely covering that it comes in : p

Thanks for the reply!

i'm working on the same thing....and wondered if it would cause any problems if i cut my mobo chassis so that i could route the wires in behind it? i figure as long as the stand offs are still supported there shouldn't be any real problems...right???

Should be fine, as long as you don't remove too much material.

If you could post a pic of what your planning on doing, we could give you a better idea... But I would think it should be fine.

I've cut 3 holes in my Antec Nine Hundred in order to hide the cables from the power supply. As long as the holes aren't too big, it shouldn't compromise the mobo tray.

photo.jpg

More you try, cleaner you get.
Indeed, there is Japanese saying goes alike this;
"Third house you built would be perfect one."

This is my 3rd time (maybe 4th) I cleaned up wires, and I noticed I can managed some stuff quite easy.

(1) front view

(2) rear view

Make sure to make all cutting edges where any cords would run through will be covered with necessary protection. Use common sense, that will be it.

More you try, cleaner you get.
Indeed, there is Japanese saying goes alike this;
"Third house you built would be perfect one."

This is my 3rd time (maybe 4th) I cleaned up wires, and I noticed I can managed some stuff quite easy.

(1) front view

(2) rear view

Make sure to make all cutting edges where any cords would run through will be covered with necessary protection. Use common sense, that will be it.

I can only aspire to have my case as clean as that :D

If you have a dremel (doesn't every [H]'er?) better to cut some holes and route cables BEHIND the mobo rather than UNDER the mobo. By going behind you avoid the risk of shorting out the system and having to disassemble everything to figure out which wire is causing the problem. Either way, I recommend that if you sleeve your wires, unsleeve them for any you are routing thru tight spaces. Less stuff to try and stuff back there.

Another option for going through the MoBo tray would be to pick up a stepping drill bit which will cut you a nice clean hole to route your wires through which can later be grommeted for a better look/less chance of damaging wires in exposed metal.

Thanks for the advice guys, yes i have a dremal just never though about cutting my own hole's.

If you have a dremel (doesn't every [H]'er?) better to cut some holes and route cables BEHIND the mobo rather than UNDER the mobo. By going behind you avoid the risk of shorting out the system and having to disassemble everything to figure out which wire is causing the problem. Either way, I recommend that if you sleeve your wires, unsleeve them for any you are routing thru tight spaces. Less stuff to try and stuff back there.

hmm, what exactly do you mean by behind and under?

js

Another option for going through the MoBo tray would be to pick up a stepping drill bit which will cut you a nice clean hole to route your wires through which can later be grommeted for a better look/less chance of damaging wires in exposed metal.

I'll have to try this next time...cutting with the dremel can be a bit*h, especially if you like your cuts to be straight :D

I've had problems trying to pass rectangular connectors thru round holes that without making them unecessarily large. Might have been the alcohol though...

Back