Wireless Card Problems

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

On Monday, I was called to my cousin's house to set up his wireless network. He uses Verizon DSL and has a Dell wireless router. I set up the network and everything worked fine.

I then added a Linksys wireless card to his PC a room over, as requested. Computer A, which is connected through a wired connection to the router, works fine. Computer B, his in the other room, does not. Computer B detects a very low-strength signal, but even when detecting the signal at "good" quality, it will not resolve hosts. After restarting and releasing/renewing IP addresses, it still did not work.

I checked IPConfig and it cannot find a DHCP server or default gateway, but is assigned an IP address. The router is set to automatically assign a DHCP server to the computers on the network.

After I left, a laptop tried to connect to the network and had no problems, so the router is properly set up.

Any ideas? I'd like to go back tomorrow to fix it, so if you can get back to me before then, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Thanks!

have you tried using that wireless card in another computer....are the walls in his hous simple dry wall...or concrete or anything thick?

make sure drivers are fully updated and your using the latest.

fully uninstall all drivers software and the card reboot...

install the latest drivers and software.....

then power down...and install the card and power up

linksys cards are very picky as to how they are installed...and this for me worked when i was working with a few of them

There are no other computers to use the card in, unfortunately. The walls are normal walls, heh, not concrete or anything thick. I used the drivers included on the CD that came with the card, but I'll update from the internet using my MacBook.

Thanks for the tip.

Back