Wireless connection connected but no connectivity?!

I'm running a Belkin F5D7050 under Windows XP and when I connect the unit I can get it to show the connected icon in the system tray and say connected with good signal 54.0 kBps or whatever but there is ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTIVITY! I can't use the connection to access the internet or even the local network on that router. I've tried unsecuring the network, I've tried changing from WEP to WPA I've tried changing passkeys I've tried everything I can think of. WHY is this thing being a sonofabitch and how do I fix it? Anyone have any ideas?

ok

have you tried to allow the DHCP to give you an address first, just to test it?

Why do you have a static ip? The router should hand you out an address.

Also, are you using the default security settings (i.e. None) or is there encryption on, also check your mac address filtering.

Try connecting via ethernet first, could be the router is screwed.

Yeah I tried DHCP with the same results. I use a static IP on all of my systems because it makes networking computers together a lot easier.

Make sure your static IP settings are correct...the IP itself in same range as the router, correct subnet mask, correct gateway. DNS isn't needed for local connection..just surfing the 'net..so in testing if you can ping the router or not....don't worry about DNS...but you'll want it correct so you can surf the net. Some routers allow you to use their LAN IP as your DNS server since they just forward DNS requests..others work better if you enter your ISPs 2x DNS servers.

Make sure your SSID is unique...if you have the same SSID as your neighbors..you can have issues.

Drop all security settings for now..just to troubleshoot..leave it wide open. Once you can get your connection working..ramp it up to WPA.

Make sure latest firmware on the router..and latest drivers for your NIC.

Hopefully you have SP2 for XP installed also..greatly increased wireless config.

Back