Wireless-N router/adapters

GuruX

Gawd
I know that most of you probably use gigabit (wired) networking for your computers, but I don't have an easy way to do that where I'm at.

As such, I'm considering upgrading my old 802.11g network to a dual-band 802.11n one. I'll be using two desktops (one being an HTPC), and two laptops which already have Intel 5100agn Wi-Fi cards. What I'm wondering, is what some good dual-band routers and desktop cards/adapters would be. I'd prefer a USB adapter, although PCI would be OK if it would offer noticeably better performance.

I definitely will need dual-band capability, since the HTPC is currently being overwhelmed by a lot of Wi-Fi signals in the 2.4GHz range.

Linksys and D-Link are two of the better "commercial" brands for internet routers. For best compatibility, it's often recommended that you buy routers and cards/adapters from the same brand/model "family."

IIRC, PCI/PCI-E cards do offer noticeably better performance than USB adapters, but I've haven't seen any recent "benchmarks" to confirm whether or not that's still the case.

IIRC, the Intel WiFi 5300 mini-PCI cards support dual-band Wireless N (for the laptop), but you have to buy and mount a third antenna in order to take full advantage of the card's capabilities.

I'd prefer a USB adapter, although PCI would be OK if it would offer noticeably better performance.

USB adaptors generally have lower performance and a higher rate of failure because of heat.

I always stay with the same manfg if it's an option.

As far as specific models, I haven't looked into it for awhile but I've always found Small Net Builder to be a great resource.

Back