Wireless Network Questions

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally, where I live out in the country we can get dsl, and I was wondering about setting up a wireless network. I don't know much at all about wireless networking either. We got the dsl modem on thursday, but it will be activated by at the latest on monday. Now does the dsl modem plug into the wireless router and then everyone picks it up from their? Or does it go dsl modem -> PC w/ wireless network card -> wireless router -> other pc's? Any good recommendations on any setups or anything would be appreciated. I need the entire lowdown.

Thanks

DSL Modem > Router > PCs

Most Wireless routers come with atleast a 4port built-in switch as well, so you can have as many wireless connections as you want, and 4 wired PCs hooked into it.

Oh I see, and can anyone recommend any setups? Like like g/b or whatever, do usb wireless adapters work as good as the pci cards?

Also, with a wireless router, can it also be a wired router? Or are the ethernet ports used as a switch only?

I think I decided to go with a wired router lol :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend any good wired routers? I wan't it to be very stable and not too expensive.

As noted above, what they call a wireless router also usually has 4 ethernet LAN ports. And yes they are routed as well, so you have maximum flexibility. I like the DLINK DGL-4300. It's LAN ports are gigabit ethernet. It's marketed as a gaming router, but it works just fine for general use. It has an incredibly rich feature set in firmware, even has an NTP Client that keeps it's internal clock set.You can find the manual online. It even has wizards to simplify setup.

I had a Linksys BEFSR81 (Wired Cable/DSL Router, no wireless) and can't really recommend it. It died after about 2 years, and before that would randomly drop connections. I had a BEFSR41 before that and it only lasted a little over a year.

Even if you want to just do wired now, I'd suggest you get a wireless router in case you want to go wireless later. There is not much difference in cost. It's a great thing to sit on the back porch with a laptop and surf with no wires!

Good luck!
Tom

Thanks, I was looking into getting a wireless router but just using wired, I take it that the router is password protected? Is there software to install?

Sorry about the noob questions lol, are their any cheaper routes, I mean I don't really need gigabit, or do I?

I see that at Toms Hardware they really like the Netgear Rangemax 240. I really want one that doesn't drop connections and I essentially just want to "set it and forget it". Sorry that was pretty cheesy...

Lol, ok, sorry guys, but I changed my mind again, my dad doesn't want to drill and run wire for a wired connection so I think wireless is going to be the way to go. I think D-Link's DGL-4300 or Netgear's RangeMax 240 are good solutions, let me know. I also need some adapters that go with that. What are some good adapters? Any performance difference or problems with usb adapters or are pci adapters the best way to go. Price isn't that much of a concern.

Sorry, and thanks lol.

OK, Yes the router is password protected (As shipped it has no password but the first thing you do is set one). No software to install on your PCs, you manage the router with a browser.

Those adapters should be fine. You might consider using the same brand adapters as your router, it can make things a bit easier. The equivalent D-Link adapter cards are about 30.99 (They even have a $10 rebate now so they are 20.99, pretty good deal.

PP

Back