Wireless networking and latency

Wayfare

n00b
Hi all,

I am wondering whether a wireless router is going to increase my lag in games...and if not significantly, what is the best wireless router to get? We only have two computers to hook up to the network. They will be within 15 feet of the hub.

Thanks very much.

Wayf

I haven't noticed any problems. I use Netgear 802.11g equipment. I'm pretty sure somebody will say Netgear Sucks, use Belkin to which somebody will reply Belkin Sucks, use Connectron 9000.

Netgear works for me and most of the time it is all made by the same Malaysian children.

Well I have a 11Mbps setup at my house but it sucks ass for playing games espcially something like a fps. Also I have to factor in about 50ft I think.
As for you if your playing at about 15ft away I dont even see why your trying to go wireless? Its slower, less reliable, easily hacked, etc etc.
As for wired the only real problem is the wires if thats even a real problem considering all the advantages you got out of it.

I run a wireless setup at home, I have noticed no extra latency going from wired to wireless. I generally get pings of 60 to 100ms

I have the 11mbs (802.11b) setup in my house and I have not noticed any lag whatsoever.

My brother is connected to the network wirelessly and iam not but he often gets lower ping. In other words i wouldnt worry.

We used a wireless router (netgear I believe) at my cousin's to play on xbconnect and it worked fine.

My wireless isnt bad, except I get a few disconnected everynow and then. It works fine on xbox live as well.

Fark_Maniac said:
I run a wireless setup at home, I have noticed no extra latency going from wired to wireless. I generally get pings of 60 to 100ms

that is considerd farly high to most

i ping 5 - 15 on good dallas server and im wired

Mcbuddah said:
I have the 11mbs (802.11b) setup in my house and I have not noticed any lag whatsoever.

Same here i ping about 30 on almost any game i play. Only problem is the dl speed since our dsl blows for some reason i only dl at 50k. I don't know why you are trying to go wireless if your like 15ft away. But whatever the reason it is stable.

Vanskater said:
that is considerd farly high to most

i ping 5 - 15 on good dallas server and im wired
...I do not go to dallas and I'm far from dallas... for my connection (wired or not) that range is normal...

Using the Linksys WRT54G router for my wireless laptop. Don't really notice much of a difference in terms of pings in multiplayer games. Haven't ran into any problems uisng wireless yet.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. Just make sure that you get a good or excellent signal with your router and it should be all fine.

Back