Wireless print server.

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I was thinking of getting a wireless printer server for my printers, but i was wondering, when i install the printer software both printers (canon and hp) come to a point when it asks you to plug in the printer so it can be detected and installed.

how do you get around that part, do you have to actually plug the printer in to every computer that you want to put the drivers on? that would suck.

you will lose the scanning functions.

get a wireless printer. if you dont care about that and just want to print, install the machine locally with the usb cable.

then unplug and change port to the IP of the print server.

Some printer drivers will allow you to blow past that point..some even have an option saying that you cannot plug it in now, you will later. Others...you can try to flip it to LPT1..and adjust the printer port later.

Sooo..depends on the printer drivers. Some will stop until you plug the printer in..you have no choice. In that case...you're out of luck. Or...you can try to download the IT/network install smaller driver bundle instead of using the way over bloated consumer drivers.

Some advice...I flat out will not support any wireless print servers...I hate them..based on experience with a lot of different brands. However, if you're hell bent on using one, assign it a static IP...either locally on it, or via DHCP reservation. This will help eliminate the couple of times a year it picks up a different IP address and all your printers go offline.

sounds like a huge hassle. maybe i will try something else instead. how about one of those wireless USB hubs?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH104KIT/

since i have to have the computer on to print anyways, and i have to have the drivers on the computer anyways, seems like the wireless print server is a waste of time.

wireless USB could be used for lots of other things too!

Back