Wireless router help

Rkp

n00b
Here is the situation:

I bought a wireless router, linksys WRT54G, the computer I am typing this post on now is obiviously on the internet and is connected via wire to the router. My sisters computer has a wireless-g pci card and her computer is receiving an excellent connection it says but i cannot get internet or an ip address. Ive been at this for over two hours looking on forums and stickys and stuff, I upgraded the firmware messed around with a lot of settings, tried to disable DHCP and enter it in manually and a bunch of other stuff.. I knew i would have trouble with wireless but nothing like this, I am very angry now. Her computer has service pack 1 with some other updates, I know service pack 2 has better wireless functions but her computer is trashed enough as it is. I tried setting it up with the cd that came with the router but it crashes on her computer at a certain point.. Now I am asking you network experts for some help because I have very little knowledge of wireless. Like i said it cannot find a ip address and before it said something about a virtual private network. It is getting signal strength but i cannot ping anything, I seriously am confused. I also am tryin WEP and WPA. WEP seems to work but WPA gives me something about 5 and 13 bits error on my sisters computer, and no options to even use WPA only IEEE and WEP it seems.. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

First and foremost let’s start off with the basics. Are you running Cable or DSL? If you’re running cable then you’ll want DHCP enabled. Also, make sure that your sister’s PC is set up to obtain IP Addy's automatically, same holds true for the DHCP. To check this right click on the "My Networking Places" and go to properties. From there right click on "local area connection" and go to properties. From there go to "internet protecol" and go to properties.

What I would do is reset the router to its factory settings so you can start from scratch.

If you’re running DSL then I’m assuming that your ISP is set up for PPPoE. (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) In that case you’ll want to enter your user name and password that you use to log into/connect with when accessing the internet. Either way, I always recommend that the novice user run the wizard, it will walk you through setting up the router up for DSL/Cable. It will also help you with security.

Also, make sure your cable modem/DSL modem is plugged into the WAN port on the back of the router. Actually I believe this router specially says “Internet” on one of it’s ports; make sure the modem is plugged into that port and not the 1,2,3 or 4 ports. Those are not for the modem.

Security. I’d go with WPA, granted you can get it working. Coincidentally enough, I just set this router up for my parents this weekend. No issues what so ever. They however are on DSL, which runs on a PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) which needs to be set up within the router.

You said you tried upgrading the Firmware, make sure your using this firmware. Firmware

Let us know where you are at with this. Also, change the "admin" password from "password" to something esle. You don't want anyone gaining access to your router and messing stuff up.

Back