Wireless with Ibook

midnightsaga

Weaksauce
I have a G3 I-Book, and finding an airport card is not only difficult but very expensive! I have heard that their are other brands\types of pcmcia cards that can be used, but I do not know what I am looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

does your ibook have an external PCMCIA slot? If so, then that would work. But that is still expensive. I was using a belkin wireless card in my Powerbook. You can find them on eBay for <$20.

Nope, iBooks don't take PCMCIA cards because they don't have slots for them. Powerbooks do (I'm not sure about the 12"). The only solution is the expensive solution: get an airport card from Apple. Or you could try to get one from ebay or another site that sells them. Good luck!

4b5eN+EE said:
wow...check out their prices! their amazing!
here

Yea I noticed that too. Orinoco silver cards generally work in the g3 ibooks as the airport card is based off them. The issue is you have to break the antenna off them to make them fit and either solder on a connector or solder the apple antenna wire to it. I had some orinoco silver cards without antennas but not all of them seemed to work in the ibooks. Sony also made a card that was compatable(not offical but it did work) although it is almost as expensive as the airport card.

Cheapest options are a usb adapter or maybe getting the cheapest ibook off ebay with an airport card(or local paper) and gutting it. Keep the airport card and try to make your money back selling everything elce in it.

Back