Wiring home for nets/comms.. Structured wiring question.

techguy101

n00b
Hi,

I think I asked about this a while back but the time has finally come for wiring the new house for all the goodies etc

At the moment my plan is to go with CAT6 all over the house. At least one point/socket in each room. Then for the main rooms (kitchen/living,sitting and study/office) I will have maybe two points at opposit corners of the room with maybe 2-4 sockets in each.

I remember reading before that it was a good idea to install coaxial cable around the house also. Off the top of my head I can only think of security/surveilance as a possible use. Also, I was thinking that if each room had coax then we could put all dvd/sat boxes in the once location and patch them through to wherever was needed.

And what about speakers? I'm not really sure about this at all? I was thinking about having ceiling speakers in all locations too but not sure about the capabilites of speaker wire..What have people done in the past.

Alos, i'm going to be on the lookout for a cheap european(worldwide) supplier of all electrical fixtures..switches/sockets/light fittings etc.. So any links would be appreciated if ye have any.. thanks

Any advice greatly appreciated.. thanks.

def run cat5/cat6 and cable to each location, 2 cat5/6 for each and 1 coax.

dont plan to run high def over coax tho, so if you want to centrally locate all equipment in a room, think about how you want to to do it, if you are going to put the dvr, dvd in the closet or something want to run hdmi from that location up, or some converters.

def run cat5/cat6 and cable to each location, 2 cat5/6 for each and 1 coax.

dont plan to run high def over coax tho, so if you want to centrally locate all equipment in a room, think about how you want to to do it, if you are going to put the dvr, dvd in the closet or something want to run hdmi from that location up, or some converters.

Ok, I hear you that I should probably run coax around the house but do I need it in every room? What could I need it for in the future?

Also, i've been looking up those converters. They look a little pricey to be honest but i'm sure they're the only way to go for long distance HD! Do you get quality with them?

Thanks.

I'd skip all that extra coax personally... pretty soon everything will be able to be streamed over IP networks

I'd skip all that extra coax personally... pretty soon everything will be able to be streamed over IP networks

I agree, thats why I am asking about the uses of coax. I had though that I could pipe video around the house with easy using coax but I don't want to know about it if it's limited to SD video.

The only use I can think of now is CCTV outside. But then again CAT6 would be better suited for this even given Power Over Ethernet? Yes, No ??

There's also the question of remote control. I must check out CAT6/Infrared converters.. :mad:

all depends on what you are trying to do.

if you want to centrally located everything and distribute say a cable box or multiple boxes to each room you got alot more planning to do.

alot of people where i am run the cable box, dvr, dvd etc in the closet of the room, and just run hdmi to the tvs, so everything is hidden.

if you can centrally located the component rack in the house that you can run the longest hdmi cables too that will be cheap.

ip camera for security are expensive over analog based.
ip based tv services and dvds may not be out.

so the big houses that use crestron and similar use tons of cat5/cat6 but use the convertors which add up.

check out avsforums

Back