Witcher or Oblivion?

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to take a break from FPS games and lose myself in a good RPG for awhile before the wave of new games start shipping.

Which game is more fun: The Witcher or Oblivion?

Both. :D

That is a really tough question. You would get more longevity out of Oblivion because of the endless mods, the game really never ends if you dont want it too, But, The Witcher is a very awesome game.

Just splurge and get both.

witcher... still don't get the oblivion craze... monsters level up with you? i like a challenge so i can build up my character and then absolutely slaughter them. that and i got through the game in such a short time (yes roaming was/is boring)

witcher... still don't get the oblivion craze... monsters level up with you? i like a challenge so i can build up my character and then absolutely slaughter them. that and i got through the game in such a short time (yes roaming was/is boring)

Lots of mods out there to make that possible.

Hmmm...Oblivion or The Witcher? I'd have to say the Witcher. They'll be releasing an "Enhanced" version very soon, which will make the game a lot better. It was great to begin with, but the new additions will be awesome. imo.

Don't get me wrong here. I love oblivion, but kind of got a little burned out after a bit. Way too many awesome user made mods to chosoe from hehe.

I loved playing The Witcher. I'm waiting for the Enhanced edition as well & hope for a kickass experience.

Wow, fast replies!! Opinions seem to slightly favor the Witcher. I've already got Oblivion + Shivering Isles, so it probably makes sense to try it first.

Is the Witcher Enhanced just an expansion for the original or is it, as the title suggests, an enhanced/upgraded version of the original?

Wow, fast replies!! Opinions seem to slightly favor the Witcher. I've already got Oblivion + Shivering Isles, so it probably makes sense to try it first.

Is the Witcher Enhanced just an expansion for the original or is it, as the title suggests, an enhanced/upgraded version of the original?

It's an Enhanced/Upgraded version of the orgininal. The same thing, just "Enhanced" hehe.

Have to add my vote for The Witcher. It may not be an open, sandbox-y game like oblivion, but it makes up for it by actually giving the sense of being set in a living world rather than just a big forest populated with robots. Simple things like how npcs run for cover in the rain, or kids chasing you around town. And I liked how the main character actually has personality. In fact I just read "The Last Wish" recently, and apart from being quite impressed with it, the game is quite faithful to the end-of-an-era feel of the book.

Anyway I'll be buying the EE, even though it will also be a free patch, and I know I'm not the only one.

If you want a good story then The Witcher hands down. Wait for the Enhanced edition next month. In the mean time you can get Oblivion pretty cheap now and just go mod crazy. The main story of Oblivion is terrible.

Have to add my vote for The Witcher. It may not be an open, sandbox-y game like oblivion, but it makes up for it by actually giving the sense of being set in a living world rather than just a big forest populated with robots. Simple things like how npcs run for cover in the rain, or kids chasing you around town. And I liked how the main character actually has personality. In fact I just read "The Last Wish" recently, and apart from being quite impressed with it, the game is quite faithful to the end-of-an-era feel of the book.

Anyway I'll be buying the EE, even though it will also be a free patch, and I know I'm not the only one.

The Last Wish was a great novel to read. Geralt is a very deep character with the capacity for strong morals. That's why I love the game... the choices you make can actually reflect your own way of thinking & feeling.

Witcher Enhanced pre-ordered! :D

I'll play with Oblivion and see if it hooks me.

The Last Wish was a great novel to read. Geralt is a very deep character with the capacity for strong morals. That's why I love the game... the choices you make can actually reflect your own way of thinking & feeling.

I really liked the way there's rarely an obvious choice to the plot branches, and even when you think there is it can come back to have unexpected consequences (even if it makes little difference in the long run). The whole choice thing sounds a bit contrived, but now that I see how it relates to the novel it makes more sense.

Both. Oblivion for longevity with its countless mods but The Witcher for a more immersive, cinematic game. They both have their strong points and I really enjoyed each one.

I played Oblivion for a few hours, and I got incredibly lost. It's not very noob friendly to me I guess, and everyone looked retarded. I started playing The Witcher and got sucked in completely. The story line is really deep, and people actually look...like people. Plus, Geralt gets to sleep with basically every chick he meets, lol.

I think I'll try to get into Oblivion after I finish the Witcher first.

Mods can change that, I have mine modded so much that its a mere shadow of the original game.

I'm going to buy The Witcher today to hold me over until Clear Sky.

Why am I going to buy the Witcher? Because the guys making Clear Sky said that is one of the games they enjoy playing when their not making awesome freaking S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Could just be because both developers are in Russia and their pimpin' the homies but.......

The enhancements are going to be avalable in a patch so even if you already own the game you still get the enhanced edition.

Cool. So, I'll play Oblivion now and pre-order the Witcher Enhanced. :D
Don't bother with the "Enhanced" version. All gameplay changes will be available as a patch for the original for free. Just pick up the original and DL the patch and save yourself $20.

why not do the game you already have, then when the enhanced version comes snatch it up.. but you already knew that didnt ya?

Plus, Geralt gets to sleep with basically every chick he meets, lol.

the sad part is after playing this, i now feel like i should have the ability to pump any girl in games and get their whore card... like the pilot in bionic commando rearmed

Witcher hands down! Only thing Oblivion got going for it is the Dark Brotherhood quest, after that, meh.

Witcher bored me to tears in the first half hour of it I played. Promptly uninstalled and went back to Obliv.

It really depends what you like. TW is a classic point and click RPG. Oblivion isn't that. It's a FPSRPG which is why it's so beauitful. I really loved the game and enjoyed it throughly. You said you want to get lost in an RPG... go with oblivion. I still remember the feeling when I first stepped out of the dungeons and saw how the beauitful the night sky was and the music to go with it was perfect.

Don't bother with the "Enhanced" version. All gameplay changes will be available as a patch for the original for free. Just pick up the original and DL the patch and save yourself $20.
Yeah, but the Enhanced Edition is going to come packed with a bunch of tangible goodies. Some of it's a little "meh", but some of it seems pretty exciting. I've been waiting for the Enhanced Edition for about six months now, having decided not to play The Witcher until that comes out.

As disappointing as Oblivion was, I still think it's a game worth playing. It's gorgeous and immersive, and you can really have a lot of fun playing around with the various mods, but it's also shallow as hell. If you want a deeper, more satisfying Elder Scrolls game, then check out Morrowind, which is available in a GOTY edition with both expansions for about $17. I'm a big RPG guy, and Morrowind's managed to stay firmly planted at the #3 spot in my own personal top ten.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oblivion is quite good gameplay-wise, but it has no depth IMO and the story sucks donkey balls. After 40 hours it was god damn boring and my char was so powerful I didn't even bother to fight the enemies, I just sneaked by them.

Witcher on the other hand has great gameplay, great graphics, awesome story and overall is MUCH a better game than Oblivion.

If you want more/better storyline, go with The Witcher.

If you want more/better exploration, go with Oblivion.

Both games offer lots of quests, combat, loot, npc’s, and customization as well as having various mods to download, but each game does some things a little better than the other. See below:

• Quests – Witcher; the game’s quests are generally more interesting than Oblivion’s. This kind of goes along with the better story line.
  • Combat – Oblivion; well, in the vanilla game Oblivion’s combat is only slightly better than the Witcher’s (IMHO), but with the Reflex mod combat becomes way more fun.
  • Loot – Oblivion; while there’s a more interesting variety of items in the Witcher, Oblivion offers more gear (armor and weapons) with more ways to customize it.
  • NPC’s – Witcher; both games have a lot of “reused” NPC’s but interactions in the Witcher are more raw and interesting. Plus there’s no children or whores in Oblivion.
  • Environment – Tie; Oblivion is prettier and more wide-open, but textures are re-used too often and some would describe the game as too bright or colorful. The Witcher’s engine on the other hand is not quite as attractive or wide-open, but its dark and gritty appearance combined with its various and distinct zones really help to tell its story.
  • Mods – Oblivion; hands down. There just aren’t the tools or community out there for the Witcher like there is for Oblivion. Of course it could be argued that the Witcher doesn’t need as much modding as Oblivion generally does.
Of course, you already have Oblivion so play that and when the enhanced version of The Witcher comes out, just switch over. When you finish The Witcher you can go back and re-play Oblivion with all kinds of mods.

Back