With to i7 920 at $286: Where will prices go for other Chips (QX etc.)

computerinfo

Limp Gawd
I have read all the reviews about the $286 i7 920 chip. It blows away all other chips other than the two i7 chips above it.

It just seem like $286 is a bargin for what you get. The only hitch is that the motherboard and memory may be too costly.

Question: Where will the prices go for chips like the QX9770, E8600, Q6600 ar any other chip for that matter go.

Why would anyone buy anything but the i7 920 for $286 or other i7 if they have the money.

None of the reviews mention where Intel plans to price its other chips now that they all pale in comparision. The articles only mention that new motherboards and memory will cost a lot.

Can we assume that x58 motherboards will quickly drip as well as DDR3 memory.

I have been waiting to build a new system to repalce my AMD x2 3800+. I was all excited to get an e8500, but now I want an i7 920. The problem is that I don't want to spend a fortune on an expensive MB and memory.

You won't seem them move much at all for the moment. No need to move them.

I have been waiting to build a new system to repalce my AMD x2 3800+. I was all excited to get an e8500, but now I want an i7 920. The problem is that I don't want to spend a fortune on an expensive MB and memory.

You pretty much listed the exact reason why I skipped Nehalem and got my C2D setup to replace my aging 3700+ setup, I got a great bang for the buck. I follow my unending quote of PC hadware upgrading:

If you always wait for the latest and greatest, you will always have nothing

You pretty much listed the exact reason why I skipped Nehalem and got my C2D setup to replace my aging 3700+ setup, I got a great bang for the buck. I follow my unending quote of PC hadware upgrading:

If you always wait for the latest and greatest, you will always have nothing

I've been waiting for Nehalem because I haven't really had a need to upgrade my AMD 64 setup yet. However, I'm getting to the point where I could use an upgrade, and unless I see a heavy drop in pricing on C2D, I'm not about to take that over Nehalem. Having deprived myself of C2D for the past 8 months, I'd really feel lousy buying it now.

I don't see why i7 is going to be so expensive in Europe. It's retailed to cost here 378 Euros the model i7 920 (2,6Ghz), the lowest one. Some maths 378 Euros = 484,33 U$D A fucking armed robbery.

It costs intel 200$ extra bucks just to move a 100 grams? processor from USA to EU?

I can see quite a few resons to pick the 965 over the 920 if you have the money for it, some of them are the same as why i or anybody else pick the QX9650 over Q9450 and none are sane or from the economic pov.
Having hard time to talk my self in to waiting or the 32nm part before upgrading to a 400€ Rampage II Extreme and a i7 965 to give the 280:s a bit more power to play with.
I am positivly supriced that the i7 965 is "only" 985€ for preorder when the flagship QX9770 is around 1440€. 985€ is what the cheaper QX9650 is right now here.

I will have a stuffed wallet :p.
That become less and less worth rapidly the same time as the prices go up and is not enought to buy what you want later when you want to upgrade so the value is lower of the content of the wallet even if it is heavyer.

How much of that is tax? Remember US prices are quoted without any form of sales tax (eg VAT) added. Your general tax rates and minumum wages are higher as well, all of which get factored into your retail prices.

so with this i7 processor, you need a new motherboard rather than the LGA 775? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Yup. Core i7 is a new architecture. New mobo, new ram (3 sticks of DDR3), new heatsink (if you're lucky just a new bracket).

socket 1366 is the new mobo format. You don't actually need 3 sticks the mobos can do dual channel or even single per se. But yeah S775's days are numbered

IIRC, there's also another socket for the new desktop chips... or did that get scrapped?

LGA1366 is the performance desktop socket, tripple channel DDR3. The high end MP Xeon socket will be LGA1567 and take quad channel DDR3 FB-DIMMs. Lynnfield (performance desktop)) and possibly Havendale (budget desktop) will use LGA1156 which will be dual channel DDR3. The mobile chips will use MPGA989 and dual channel DDR3. There're rumors of a low end desktop socket using DDR2 as well, but if it's going to be for Havendale, an even lower end part to finish off Core2, or purely rumor isn't known. I suspect it could come down to what DDR3 ends up costing in 6-9mo. Unless there's still a significant price premium I suspect designing a DDR2 part will be a waste of money.

socket 1366 is the new mobo format. You don't actually need 3 sticks the mobos can do dual channel or even single per se. But yeah S775's days are numbered

For most users here, they'll be numbered once the most resource-demanding applications they run (games) stop being GPU-limited.

When does anyone think that will be?

if your a gamer..and use your pc the most for gaming...the E8500@ 4Ghz (if lucky) will last you like another 3 yrs before you become cpu limited..

Yes for anyone else who actually uses their computer for intensive work other than gaming then S775's days are numbered.

if your a gamer..and use your pc the most for gaming...the E8500@ 4Ghz (if lucky) will last you like another 3 yrs before you become cpu limited..

I was going to say 3 years in optimistic until I realized my secondary system is still an AXP which I just paired with an agp 3850 this year and breathed some new life into it. A 4 year old system which can still at 1280x1024 run of some this years titles [all be it on medium details].

For most users here, they'll be numbered once the most resource-demanding applications they run (games) stop being GPU-limited.

When does anyone think that will be?

Agreed. By days are numbered, I meant in a year or so they won't be making s775 cpus and mobos, moreso than people who have s775 cpu/mobo combo's will be obsolete.

i7 and x58 is going to be for benchers and people with multiple video cards. Why is this so hard to understand. I dont even reckognize 12x10 as a valid resolution anymore. Seriously, anyone who has less than a 20" widescreen can hardly be called a "gamer" in this day of sub200 dollar monitors. SLI gains quite a bit of power on an i7 over core2.

i7 and x58 is going to be for benchers and people with multiple video cards. Why is this so hard to understand. I dont even reckognize 12x10 as a valid resolution anymore. Seriously, anyone who has less than a 20" widescreen can hardly be called a "gamer" in this day of sub200 dollar monitors. SLI gains quite a bit of power on an i7 over core2.

Yet another deluded soul who thinks gamers and 'enthusiasts' are the only people who push the limits of their PCs...

Xbit just posted this article:
Intel Discontinues Bunch of 45nm, 65nm Microprocessors.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/c...Microprocessors.html

So, it looks like the process has started. As old chips are removed I sure hope the prices of all existing chips start to fall.

Then again, I can care less about all the current chips, I really just want a $125 x58 board with inexpensive DDR3 memory.

have you looked at any intel price sheets lately, at some price points they've got as many as a half dozen different chips (45 vs 65, and various cache sizes). This is a long overdue purging of the mess.

Yes, I agree. I have always said that there is no reason for Intel to make fore than about 10 max chips to fill the different price points. The more they have the more confusion they get from the public.

Unfortunately, this is how may tech companies work. Nvidia and ATI are kings when it comes to this. Their are way to many confusing video cards available.

Wow we are off topic. i7 should be useful for gaming when the first DX 11 games come out.

Back