wolfdale 3.0ghz + tuniq tower = 41C idle?

ann0yanc3

Gawd
just turned on my new system (asus rampage formula x48) and the BIOS says 41C.

that seems a bit high, right?

the thermal compound included with the tower seemed to be a bit "hard" and didn't really "spread" kinda like putty. i'm used to a more "liquid" substance.

am i doing something wrong here?

thanks.

seems high but its hard (read hard = never) to trust bios temps. Get windows loaded and the first thing get coretemp or realtemp running and let us know.

Two things. First of all, BIOS temps are rarely, if ever, actually accurate like BillParrish said. Second, Intel's DTSes are inaccurate at temperatures below 50C, and they also often get stuck below that mark so you might find that the CPU doesn't report any temps below ~40C. So basically, your idle numbers don't actually reflect the real temperatures that your CPU is running at. If you want to judge how good your temperatures are, I highly recommend using a program like Prime95 or Orthos to load your CPU, and then judge how well you're doing based on those load numbers.

When you check in your BIOS for temps, your CPU is not at idle.
Therefore expect higher temps than at idle.
That and no PC measured temp can be relied upon anyway unless you have previously calibrated.

coretemp says 39C core1, 41C core2. and looks like it's going to about 54C under prime95.

these temps seem high.

coretemp says 39C core1, 41C core2. and looks like it's going to about 54C under prime95.

these temps seem high.

Using Realtemp (with properly adjusted TjMax), my idle temps never drop below 42C.
This is despite the CPU actually dropping further in temp.
Idle temps CANNOT be measured accurately unless using an external way to measure.
Using internal or motherboard sensors is innacurate.

Also couple that with:
Intel have not released info on how to measure idle or load temps so there is no guarantee you can measure them anyway if everything else is perfect.
The only thing you can measure with any form of accuracy is when it reaches TjMax temp.
Even then, the accuracy of TjMax hasnt been specified.
So the nearer the temp is to TjMax, the more likely you are somewhere near correct.
Load temps are the only thing worth bothering with.

Your temps are not high, especially the load temp.
Using Realtemp (Tjmax adjusted), my E8400 4.1GHz @ 1.4V gets between 62 to 67C load.
Idle temps dont matter because they can be wildly innacurate.

Find intels released figures for your CPU and change the setting in Realtemp.
For my E8400 it is 100C.

tjmax is setup properly now

65C max using intelburntest
55C max using prime95

that sound about right?

Yeah thats fine.
The only thing to keep an eye out for is if comparable temperatures rise a lot above any change in ambient temp.
This might indicate a fan running slow or congested airflow.
ie from dust or excessive air blockage inside the PC case (cable management)

Back