Woohoo! incoming new gear.

Keiichi

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got the go ahead from the execs to get some new hardware, and if anyone remembers, the rack I'm going with is a Dell 4210 with the dell kvm rack console.Basically we are adding a few new PE1950s and PE2950 for some added virtual machines and backup.

Also upgrading our old sonicwall (tz170) to a new one (NSA2400) for about $2100 with three years of comprehensive support/updates/subscription blah blah.

I dont mean to be antagonistic but why do people 'waste' money on those KVMs when they are virtualising stuff anyway? :> (A normal kvm would do for access to the physical server?)

KVM is cheaper than buying DRAC's I guess?

We don't bother with KVM at work, we just have a "crash cart" (KMM on wheels)

All my Dell servers have DRACs on them. That being said, not all the servers are virtual hosts, and it's alot easier just to pull out a kvm and go rather than getting another workstation hooked up.

Nope, not for this year, had a smaller budget to deal with, maybe next year when we move into another building.

skip that sonicwall, 2100 you should be able to get something nicer no?

Not really, that price is all inclusive of support/subscriptions for three years. It would really be a tough to find anything that compares to that. Aside from that sonicwall faux paux a few weeks ago, I haven't had any issue with them. Right now we're a single site with a few mobile VPN users and we already have licenses for that, I didn't feel like dumping all that just yet.

Aaah, probably too much for a 5505 and the 5510 might have been a tad over what you wanted to spend.

Hey would love to see some pics of the nice shiny hardware when it comes in if you can?

Right now I'm waiting on two new PE2950s myself. Fun stuff.

Go figure literally a day after I pull the trigger for the stuff Dell announces the availability of the next gen servers. RAWR!

Gonna talk to my account exec and see, I took a peek at their 11G servers, I'll have to see how much a comparable system costs. it may come down to pricing. Although they are running a "Buy 2 get 1 Poweredge for free" deal (previous gen ones.)

Back