Woohoo! Just ordered up 2 new 74GB 16mb Raptors!

Jaap74 said:
just tried to read this forum............

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

it was good for the first few pages............

the people tried to score points off eachother..............

:eek:
:(
;)
This Forum ([H]Forums), that Forum OCForums or this thread?

On a side note, I even PM'd the Dan person, who did the benchmarking asking him to reply, but it appears that I have been ignored so far.

This Forum ([H]Forums), that Forum OCForums or this thread?

I think he means the thread. I think you guys are possibly talking over some heads here or the discussion has wavered from the main topic or simplied topic.

I personally enjoyed your discussion and learned some things. Thanks.

quick update: I just sent my second PM to Dominick32 and I have yet to receive a reply or a pm from him. Very frustrating. I should have the hardware to replicate his experiment in the middle of next week. Now, if I would only know what to measure...

"What are you arguing? That RAID 0 makes no difference whatsoever?

I know the gains may be small in some areas, but I don't care. Don't dump on RAID because you (with your particular budget) don't think it's "worth it." If my PC boots up onto the desktop 3 seconds faster, it's worth it to me. If BF2 takes 5 seconds less to load a map, it's worth it to me. Nuff said."

I guess I just hope it is worth the dropped framerate due to the CPU utilization of the RAID. As before, the optimal solution is just to get the bigger raptor. If budget is no option, then go with striping and mirroring and the discussion is null. Then again, if budget is no issue, you'd probably be looking at 15k SCSI drives.

We'll just have to go with our guesses. What hardware will you use?

mikeblas said:
We'll just have to go with our guesses. What hardware will you use?
as soon as I get my stuff in, I will have a 3000+ Venice on an A8N-E with a pair of older Samsung 160GB drives. Even if my results are crappy in terms of performance, I think that my goal is to create a reproducable benchmark/ test by being verbose about my methodology. Unfortunately, the only paired drives I have are these Samsungs and I am not willing to fork out the big bucks for a set of raptors.

In any case raid is better depending on what you use it for as stated above in numorus posts. I am able to burn 2 dvds @ 16x at the same time and that is something I cannot do with them not raided together.

codegrinder said:
In any case raid is better depending on what you use it for as stated above in numorus posts. I am able to burn 2 dvds @ 16x at the same time and that is something I cannot do with them not raided together.
16x dvd is only 24 MB/s, it's not a huge accomplishment. And in any case, you'd be better off with two seperate drives, one each with one ISO image on it. I have done tests to this effect.

Back