Worker Dies From Poisoning At Apple Touchscreen Plant

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, has this been a bad press week for Apple or what? First all the horrible stories about hazardous work conditions where they make iPhones and iPods and now there are reports of workers being treated for (and dying from) N-hexane poisoning. If I were Apple, I would look into having my products made somewhere else.

China's state television network CCTV this weekend reported that at least one worker has died, with others injured, from N-hexane poisoning at a factory which supplies components for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.

The Apple Tax helps pay for the best sweat shops in China! That and Jobb's turtleneck's.

Don't worry too much, I'm sure his family will be well taken care of. The last employee they had killed got $44,000 and a Macbook, so I'm sure this guy's family will get $1,000 and a Shuffle.

When will any of you learn that the human refuse of the 3rd world is meaningless compared to the pow-ah of the fan-boy?

Hexane poisoning? Were they bathing in the stuff? They must have some really lax safety controls if someone died from hexane. It's not pleasant, but not the worst stuff in the world. Probably about as bad as gasoline, maybe not even as bad since gasoline has benzene in it, but close.

Hexane poisoning? Were they bathing in the stuff? They must have some really lax safety controls if someone died from hexane. It's not pleasant, but not the worst stuff in the world. Probably about as bad as gasoline, maybe not even as bad since gasoline has benzene in it, but close.

I'd just prefer that these 3rd worlders die from MEK poisoning instead. I mean, come on, my iPhone is more important than their measly little lives are. Am i rite? They could have used alcohol to clean the screens, but no, they went for something more potent because they want to make me happy. Besides, the guy that dies was weak. GET BACK TO WORK!!!

I'm no Apple fan, so I'm kind of surprised that it bugs me that some of your guys are spelling Steve's last name wrong.

As for people expiring in the work place... Apple should only deal with companies that have decent safety standards if they want to avoid PR flaps. If Apple doesn't care, then it's up to consumers to vote with their wallets.

As for people expiring in the work place... Apple should only deal with companies that have decent safety standards if they want to avoid PR flaps. If Apple doesn't care, then it's up to consumers to vote with their wallets.

seriously whens the last time that happen? voting with their wallet I mean

It's not an Apple touchscreen plant, it's just rumored to produce their stuff since they also produce touchscreens for Nokia...

It's not an Apple touchscreen plant, it's just rumored to produce their stuff since they also produce touchscreens for Nokia...

dont you know that according to the [H] forum population everything bad that every happened anywhere is apple and possibly also google's fault?

I remember a story about Apple deciding to do their own manufacturing. What happened? Apple is still outsourcing everything.

The Apple Tax helps pay for the best sweat shops in China! That and Jobb's turtleneck's.

And chemotherapy, and liver transplants . . .. convincing people to go and harvest organs is pricey business.

Don't worry too much, I'm sure his family will be well taken care of. The last employee they had killed got $44,000 and a Macbook, so I'm sure this guy's family will get $1,000 and a Shuffle.
More like a $100 USD iTunes card, and a voucher for $ 10 USD off any purchase over $200 USD "at participating American Apple stores".

Jobbs will not move the operation. Too much profit. Saving lives are last on his list.
Something has to take the back seat to profits and patent infingements.

yea, because nobody else ever dies working for any other companies....

sheesh

The problem is no other companies are so shiesty about it, and use the line "were well above world standards" as an excuse to justify the events.

Man that's going to be one hell of an OSHA report that'll go up their... wait it's China, ok everything's cool.

Was most likely long term exposure coupled with another undisclosed illness or condition. But hey, what do I know.

Forget the "poisoned apple" jokes. How about...

"China's state television network CCTV..."

That's damn near poetic, gets me every time.

It's a neurotoxin, but I'd never heard of anyone dying from the stuff.

However, according to OSHA (emphasis mine):
Commercial n-hexane is a mixture of n-hexane isomers with a small amount of cyclopentane, pentane, and heptane isomers. Benzene may be present in concentrations ranging from one to six percent.

Until Wal-Mart goes away, you're never going to kill manufacturing in China, nevermind the comparatively tiny market that Apple products occupy.

With all the hate for Apple on this site, I'm extremely surprised that there is an Apple Forum. I still think it only exists to facilitate a mass-ban of the few of us that actually have an unbiased opinion of the products.

I'm surprised there is still no one making a huff about the nano-particles used to make the oleophobic coating of the iPhone. No one seems to be the least bit concerned that they are rubbing their fingers all day on a surface comprised of particles thousands of times smaller than the width of a human hair. I get the distinct feeling that in ~10 years we may see the whole nano materials in consumer products to be the asbestos of the 21st century. Manufacturers will claim simple ignorance of course.

Right or wrong, EVERYONE uses China for manufacturing.

This is not an Apple issue. It's a China issue.

Until Wal-Mart goes away, you're never going to kill manufacturing in China, nevermind the comparatively tiny market that Apple products occupy.

With all the hate for Apple on this site, I'm extremely surprised that there is an Apple Forum. I still think it only exists to facilitate a mass-ban of the few of us that actually have an unbiased opinion of the products.

So you claim to be unbias about it and then claim they have a tiny market. Um hello. The iPod owns the portable music market. That's hardly tiny.
There' some general hate towards Apple here, but the FACTS are a lot of it is founded in the fact that Apple and a lot of it's supports think their shit don't stink.

I work with a guy who has been with our company, Texas Instruments, for 30+ years now. He said back in the 70's and early 80's they didn't know (or care) how dangerous alot of the chemicals were. They would dip their arms in it, would get splashed by stuff, wade around in their pants.

He says a couple of the friends he worked with back then, that are now in their 50's, are getting unexplained illnesses and some have died from cancers.

So, considering that China is about 80 years behind on the Industrial Revolution, I would say ya, people over there are probably being very stupid with harmfull stuff. It took our people dying from exposure to get new laws and regulations and safer mind sets.....China will have to experience the same exact thing. Heck alot of us probably went to schools that had asbestos in the walls and we probably used hairspray with CFC's.

Those fuckers better not let my next iPhone be late!

(insert sarcasm punctuation here)

Back