Info in Sig.

1680x1050

Might go 1920x1080 soon tho.

i7 920/930 worth the $$ over 965? PC will last me 2yrs

Last edited:
not exactly sure what you are asking

True I wasn't very clear on this. I though it was evident, my fault :rolleyes:

Need a new PC -> Ahh theres the thing

Should I spend money on AMD 965 Platform or on a i7 930 Platform ?
Card wise, looking for 5770/5850.

PC Will last 2years before an Upgrade.

More info in signature, using resolution of 1680x1050, in a few, 1920x1080.

Info in Sig.

1680x1050

Might go 1920x1080 soon tho.

i7 920/930 worth the $$ over 965? PC will last me 2yrs

That depends...are you willing to overclock? If so then I'd say yes on the 920/930. If not then the 965 will be perfect for you, and has a much lower cost of entry into the platform to boot.

p2 965 w/4gs and hd5770 @ 1680x1050 for WoW is more than sufficient and will last 2 years easy.

A 3rd option you might consider is the i5 750 CPU and P55 motherboard. Great for overclocking and still getting close to i7 proformance.

Go with whatever CPU/Motherboard combo you can afford but it would definitely benefit from being a quad core. I'm running an i7 920 and i love it. You will want a minimum of 4gb ram though, which will mean you'll also want Win7 64bit. AMD 5850 will be more than sufficient for video card. You could probably even get away with a 57xx series.

A Phenom 2 X4 or i5 will still have awesome longevity if you can't spring for an i7.

I haven't found that WoW itself benefits from having many processing threads but when I went from 2 to 4 cores I saw a BIG improvement because there were more threads available to handle system processes. Sound no longer stuttered in Raids, no weird lag spikes, etc.

Shane

WoW was lagging really bad a few days ago for everyone... my wife's rig was lagging like mad and it is

CPU: q8200 @ 3.15GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066
Hard drive: Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 (main) and (3) Seagate 1.5TB LP in raid 5
Video: 4850 512MB @ 700 / 1000

she was dropping to between 10-30 fps

today its back to normal

that being said this is what I would do

I would recycle your current setup, maybe save the 8800GT, they are decent and will play WoW just fine... this is what you should get

CPU and ram combo:

Phenom II x4 940 Black OEM

2 x 2GB Geil DDR3 1333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.419909

------------

I dont know what motherboard you have, that processor I listed might work in your board

Motherboard:

MSI 870-G45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

that comes to around $300

------

if you can afford a little more I would get this as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103086

that being said this is what I would do

I would recycle your current setup, maybe save the 8800GT, they are decent and will play WoW just fine... this is what you should get

CPU and ram combo:

Phenom II x4 940 Black OEM

2 x 2GB Geil DDR3 1333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.419909

------------

I dont know what motherboard you have, that processor I listed might work in your board

Motherboard:

MSI 870-G45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

that comes to around $300

------

if you can afford a little more I would get this as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103086

CPU is AM2+, won't worry sorry, plus its OEM.

You'll get more out of going Phenom II X4 965, Win7x64 and filling out your ramslots than buying a whole new machine, and besides - Intel are moving to yet another mobo socket now, and AMD's next from scratch socket and processor platform's due 2011. Once you're ready to buy a wholly new machine you'll be able to sell old parts and the DDR2 RAM for very good money, it's not getting any cheaper.

ya, the new patch came out and lag went through the roof, will get worse once they actually open the new content which should be Tues.

BTW, WoW really hits deminishing returns past a triple core. You will see a big improvement from a dual to a triple but not much from a triple to a quad. At that point it's all about speed, so if you have a good MB that overclocks well then get a BE triple core and OC to the moon!

Oh, and grab an SSD also.

I vote for i7.

Overclock the i7
Disable HT Core Parking
Change WoW Affinity config.wtf to 255 or whatever
(after doing these steps to my setup, i saw a very noticeable increase in fps in WoW.)
enjoy more fps than ever in WoW

Only if you're up for it, though.

Am I the only one who hates the term "lag" when used to describe low framerate?

Unless he's actually talking about network lag in which case I don't think a new computer would be called for.

Am I the only one who hates the term "lag" when used to describe low framerate?

Unless he's actually talking about network lag in which case I don't think a new computer would be called for.

so true, but warcaft will actually lag because while framerates are going in the dirt because the CPU is being beatin in the ground and running out proc clicks to hit the nic. Or at least that's my opinion...

Turn down view distance unless you have 3.4 ghz.

Tested it to death, thats the frequency wow likes at ultra. Otherwise you'll be beating the crap outta your videocard.

Turn down view distance unless you have 3.4 ghz.

Tested it to death, thats the frequency wow likes at ultra. Otherwise you'll be beating the crap outta your videocard.

funny my wifes rig works great at full settings and modded for higher than full settings...

she only has a little q8200 @ 3.15GHz

I can tell you that my Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4GHz is way faster than my old q6600 at the same speed...

my q6600 @ 3.0 is faster than my wifes q8200 @ 3.15Gz...

and my old q9550 @ was faster at stock than my wifes q8200 was @ 3.15GHz...

I dont know who made up this magic 3.4GHz number... if that was the case then my old Celeron (Prescott) @ 4.0GHz would rape WoW... but it was slow as a snail...

it all comes down to a CPU's ability to crunch numbers...

The new WoW patch also did a complete overhaul on the chat system. If you're running chat addons that are out of date it will really gimp your framerate and even cause loss of video and UI in high traffic areas like Dalaran.

If it helps:

I built my system a little over 2 1/2 years ago.

8800GT
E2180 Pentium Dual Core Overclocked to 3.0 Ghz
2 GB DDR2

It's always handled wow just fine with pretty high settings (max draw distance, 4x AA etc). In the last two weeks I had an oppurtunity to give it a bit of an upgrade.

I replaced the CPU and Vid Card and added more ram.

GTX 275
E6850 Core 2 Duo Overclocked to 3.8 GHz
Bumped the Ram to 3GB (winxp max till I go to win 7)

Things got a bit smoother. Settings went a little higher (everything to Max) etc... But would I say it was a huge improvement... nope not really. WOW doesnt really need a beast of a machine to run. Extra horsepower will only help when your 25 man raiding and in Dalaran etc. But my "old" setup handled it all fine.

I hope this gives you some perspective.

funny my wifes rig works great at full settings and modded for higher than full settings...

she only has a little q8200 @ 3.15GHz

I can tell you that my Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4GHz is way faster than my old q6600 at the same speed...

my q6600 @ 3.0 is faster than my wifes q8200 @ 3.15Gz...

and my old q9550 @ was faster at stock than my wifes q8200 was @ 3.15GHz...

I dont know who made up this magic 3.4GHz number... if that was the case then my old Celeron (Prescott) @ 4.0GHz would rape WoW... but it was slow as a snail...

it all comes down to a CPU's ability to crunch numbers...

Hey my microwave is 2.4 ghz think it can run wow? LOL

I was speaking in context to his current rig, like mine, which is AMD.

The new WoW patch also did a complete overhaul on the chat system. If you're running chat addons that are out of date it will really gimp your framerate and even cause loss of video and UI in high traffic areas like Dalaran.

Yup, this seems to be the problem for many. That and some possible issues with the new RealID system causing lag/graphic issues. I had many friends and guildmates complaining of increased lag in Dal and total screen going black/blank in Dalaran.

Problem with WoW is it's not optimized very well. You think a game that uses super low graphics and many many less polygons than current games would be running at 100 to 200fps at all times. I just hope their next MMO makes much better use of CPU. Even my system can get down to 30fps in certain raids. Even before the patch dalaran could still push my fps down to 30. This is with all settings on max.

There is a bug in the game where it will keep using more memory until it hits the 2GB 32bit memory limit. This mostly happens in Dalaran, but people been saying it happens elsewhere as well.

Problem with WoW is it's not optimized very well. You think a game that uses super low graphics and many many less polygons than current games would be running at 100 to 200fps at all times. I just hope their next MMO makes much better use of CPU. Even my system can get down to 30fps in certain raids. Even before the patch dalaran could still push my fps down to 30. This is with all settings on max.

There is a bug in the game where it will keep using more memory until it hits the 2GB 32bit memory limit. This mostly happens in Dalaran, but people been saying it happens elsewhere as well.

They're ripping off Steam community - theyve got a lot of problems for a game that has been around 5 years with a constant stream of play data - I can't beleive they still have this many problems - ick their installer is a POS to boot.

However, even though you may get scewed over by the system playing pvp more than getting a fair shake at the combat, it is kinda fun.

They should pay iD a few million to take a look at their stuff as a consultation :-P

WoW runs good with a SSD, that may fix your problem.

Was thinking of snagging one for Cata & trying it out. I know some Multiboxer friends that use them & they've had great performance with them. WoW as it is now is more CPU based than video, but Cata is suppose to change some of that slightly.

As for the Blizzard makes this much money & so forth...good luck winning them over on that one. :D

Back