World Video Game Hall Of Fame Nominees Announced

HardOCP News

[H] News
If we are talking "hall of fame" here, I think they left a few games off this list.

The nominees were announced Tuesday, April 28, 2015, at The Strong museum in Rochester, N.Y., where the hall will be located alongside the National Toy Hall of Fame. They are, from left, Pac-Man; Space Invaders; Sonic the Hedgehog; Minecraft; the Sims; Super Mario Bros.; Doom, top; World of Warcraft, center; Pokemon series, bottom; the Legend of Zelda; the Oregon Trail; Tetris; FIFA soccer; Angry Birds; Pong.

Over time they will get all of the right games in the list ... however, it might take awhile if they are covering all the major platforms (mobile, computer, console) ... the only one I would say is a little questionable and doesn't belong on the list yet is Minecraft (if it has the staying power to last another few years without dying off then I would say it is worthy as an independent classic ... but I think it needs more time yet ... one can make valid arguments for all of the others though why they are deserving ... no Hall of Fame launches with every possible game at the start so it is probably still early to judge the completeness of their list

They should also include the programmers/developers as Hall of Fame additions as that can cover them for titles they have yet to add directly ... and their are plenty of developers to add to any Hall of Fame:

Ken Levine
Sid Meier
Will Wright
Ken and Roberta Williams
Bill Budge
Chris Roberts
Richard Garriott
John Carmack
Tim Sweeney
Michael Morhaime
Shigeru Miyamoto
etc

only games with an initial release date of more than 15 years ago. in this case only games pre-2000.

only games with an initial release date of more than 15 years ago. in this case only games pre-2000.

Only Angry Birds, Minecraft, and World of Warcraft don't meet that criteria ... WoW is eleven years old and redefined the whole MMORPG genre so I think it is deserving ... I expressed my reservations about Minecraft ... if they want to include any of the app based games there aren't really any old choices so Angry Birds is probably the best choice of the choices they have

Honestly, I think it is top to bottom a solid list.

I see where they are going and don't have a bone to pick with any of them.

I do hope that in the next 3-4 years, however, Street Fighter gets a nod. It was the Pac Man of the 90s and for a short span revitalized an already dying arcade industry now relegated to the Chuck E Cheese's of the world.

I basically agree with the list except one thing. Fifa soccer has no business being there at all. Sports games have never defined anything, they appeal to a specific demographic and that's it. There is pretty much nothing innovative about them outside that. As mentioned Steet fighter should be on there and really in that spot. It helped define gaming and the fighter genre as a whole.

I basically agree with the list except one thing. Fifa soccer has no business being there at all. Sports games have never defined anything, they appeal to a specific demographic and that's it. There is pretty much nothing innovative about them outside that. As mentioned Steet fighter should be on there and really in that spot. It helped define gaming and the fighter genre as a whole.

Fifa Soccer has international appeal, and is bigger outside north America.

Conversely, I would say Madden Football deserves to make a future list as well.

Fifa Soccer has international appeal, and is bigger outside north America.

Conversely, I would say Madden Football deserves to make a future list as well.

Doesn't really matter, they aren't a game that brings anything to gaming as a whole. They don't define anything, they don't push anything. That genre serves one and only one purpose and that is moving boxes. No they don't have a place on any list that revolves around hall of fame. They are cookie cutter generic revenue generators and nothing more. I am well aware they sell tons of copies, however I'm not talking about how many copies it sold. This is supposed to be about games that actually impacted the industry in a meaningful way. If we want to say any sports game deserves to be there, NBA jam impacted the industry far more than madden or Fifa ever will.

Quake? No? Quake made all modern FPS's possible. And really, the Sims, wouldn't SimCity be a much better choice?

I am also still debating in my head about what Dekoth said about sports games... his argument has merits but at the same time EA sports was ahead truly of it's time with back in the mid-late 90's sports games (when it was an actual game maker and market innovator).

Doesn't really matter, they aren't a game that brings anything to gaming as a whole. They don't define anything, they don't push anything. That genre serves one and only one purpose and that is moving boxes. No they don't have a place on any list that revolves around hall of fame. They are cookie cutter generic revenue generators and nothing more. I am well aware they sell tons of copies, however I'm not talking about how many copies it sold. This is supposed to be about games that actually impacted the industry in a meaningful way. If we want to say any sports game deserves to be there, NBA jam impacted the industry far more than madden or Fifa ever will.

I don't see anything wrong with including a few popular releases ... games people like to play are worthy of recognition ... my kids are big Football Manager series fans and looking at their statistics is pretty sobering:

Football Manager 2011 - 993 hours
Football Manager 2014 - 635 hours
Football Manager 2013 - 561 hours
Football Manager 2012 - 276 hours
Football Manager 2015 - 253 hours

The closest other games they have are Skyrim (196 hours) and Civ V (182 hours)

There is nothing wrong with including a few popular choices in my opinion :cool:

Quake? No? Quake made all modern FPS's possible. And really, the Sims, wouldn't SimCity be a much better choice?

I am also still debating in my head about what Dekoth said about sports games... his argument has merits but at the same time EA sports was ahead truly of it's time with back in the mid-late 90's sports games (when it was an actual game maker and market innovator).

Depends ... the true Grandfather was probably Wolfenstein 3D ... Doom added the LAN networking capability (I was working at Intel when it crashed their network from employees playing at lunch so they banned it) ... Quake added even more to the genre and with its more actual 3D mazes, combined with sound and music, and eventually with Open GL for cutting edge graphics it was an experience

Ultimately all are worthy of inclusion ... Wolfenstein the Great Grandfather ... Doom the Grandfather ... and Quake the Father :D

As to the Sims vs Sim City, this is another case of both being worthy ... Sim City was the more revolutionary concept ... but the Sims took it to levels of popularity not previously seen for games other than Deer Hunter

>Games have to prove iconic status

No, they have to prove now FUN they are.

David Cage games are iconic because they represent a style that's solely his vision, doesn't mean they're good.

Over time they will get all of the right games in the list ... however, it might take awhile if they are covering all the major platforms (mobile, computer, console) ... the only one I would say is a little questionable and doesn't belong on the list yet is Minecraft (if it has the staying power to last another few years without dying off then I would say it is worthy as an independent classic ... but I think it needs more time yet ... one can make valid arguments for all of the others though why they are deserving ... no Hall of Fame launches with every possible game at the start so it is probably still early to judge the completeness of their list

They should also include the programmers/developers as Hall of Fame additions as that can cover them for titles they have yet to add directly ... and their are plenty of developers to add to any Hall of Fame:

Ken Levine
Sid Meier
Will Wright
Ken and Roberta Williams
Bill Budge
Chris Roberts
Richard Garriott
John Carmack
Tim Sweeney
Michael Morhaime
Shigeru Miyamoto
etc

I think Minecraft is a great addition to the list. It essentially carved out its own genre, is ridiculously popular, and is one of those games, like PacMan or Space Invaders, that spans generations (my parents play Minecraft, I play Minecraft, and my son plays Minecraft). The truly revolutionary part is that it has done so in such a short period of time. With PacMan and Space Invaders my dad played them in the arcades when they first came out, I played them in the retro section of the arcades that were still around when I was a kid, and my son played them on an emulator.

The developers and perhaps even publishers receiving mention is a great idea. It is kind of like how coaches end up in sports halls of fame or they make an exhibit about an old ballpark where the magic happened.

I think Minecraft is a great addition to the list. It essentially carved out its own genre, is ridiculously popular, and is one of those games, like PacMan or Space Invaders, that spans generations (my parents play Minecraft, I play Minecraft, and my son plays Minecraft). The truly revolutionary part is that it has done so in such a short period of time. With PacMan and Space Invaders my dad played them in the arcades when they first came out, I played them in the retro section of the arcades that were still around when I was a kid, and my son played them on an emulator.

The developers and perhaps even publishers receiving mention is a great idea. It is kind of like how coaches end up in sports halls of fame or they make an exhibit about an old ballpark where the magic happened.

I agree ... in the case of Gaming it is closer to movies than sports where the titles should be acknowledged but also the key technical personnel, key technologies, and the companies that made gaming possible ... maybe their Hall of Fame will evolve over time

On games we all have different opinions ... on the technician side I have already offered a few choices ... in the other groups I would suggest:

Technologies:
CD-ROM
Soundcard
Videocards
Open GL
VGA
LAN gaming
Battlenet (or one of the other portals)
etc

Companies:
EA (the original company, not what it became)
Infocom
Sierra
Blizzard
Id
SSI
Maxis
Atari
Nintendo
Sony
etc

Meh. This thing is gonna end up like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - everyone gets in. No need to argue about what/who should be in because eventually every game you ever liked will be "enshrined".

Solid list overall, but I think I agree with you about this and NBA Jam. I remember people stacking quarters at the arcade to claim "dibs" on SF II, and NBA Jam is the only wildly popular sports game I've ever seen. I know Madden sells like crazy, but I have never known anyone that even plays the series, even those who are avid gamers and football fans.

Meh. This thing is gonna end up like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - everyone gets in. No need to argue about what/who should be in because eventually every game you ever liked will be "enshrined".
You're probably right. Duke Nukem Forever will find inclusion based upon long-lasting appeal and endless memes, with no regard for the end product.

I agree ... in the case of Gaming it is closer to movies than sports where the titles should be acknowledged but also the key technical personnel, key technologies, and the companies that made gaming possible ... maybe their Hall of Fame will evolve over time

On games we all have different opinions ... on the technician side I have already offered a few choices ... in the other groups I would suggest:

Technologies:
CD-ROM, DVD, and Blu-ray
Soundcard/Audio Processor
3D GPU Video Cards
OpenGL
DirectX/DirectDraw
3Dfx GLide
VGA 256+ colors
LAN gaming
Battlenet (or one of the other portals)
Mantle (which directly led to Vulkan and D3D12 becoming LLAPIs)
etc

Companies:
ORIGIN SYSTEMS (should always be #1 on any list)
Valve
Lego
Infogrames
Microsoft GS
Rockstar
Digital Anvil
FASA Studios
Activision
Microprose
Epyx
Monolith
Lucas Arts
RavenSoft
Remedy
Ubisoft
Parallax
Interplay
Mastertronic
Obsidian
Looking Glass
Spectrum Holo
Eidos
Codemasters
Acclaim
Rocksteady
Warner Brothers (WBG)
Accolade
Ensemble Studios
Bullfrog
Vivendi
EA (the original company, not what it became) - my favorite "classic" EA game of all time is Heart of Africa
Infocom
Sierra
Blizzard
Id
SSI
Maxis
Atari
Nintendo
Sony

etc

I agree it would be great to see game-changing technologies listed, as well as dev/publishing companies that have had a profoundly major impact on the history of PC gaming. I added a few to your lists above. :)

I agree it would be great to see game-changing technologies listed, as well as dev/publishing companies that have had a profoundly major impact on the history of PC gaming. I added a few to your lists above. :)

It is sad that so many of the Hall of Fame worthy companies are no longer with us ... I am sure the strategy and RPG gamers miss SSI ... and as you noted the original Electronic Arts was an awesome company that offered us so much ... it is sad to see the modern company in comparison to the original one

The Sims was really innovative and did something that other games really hadn't ever done before (though I think SimCity did too).

As for Quake, it's just another FPS and they're pretty much all the exact same game without any innovative things to approach the idea differently. Admittedly, that's kinda the point since a lot of games are about just mindlessly clicking the mouse button over and over again, but Quake wasn't the first or the last in a loooooong series of very generic first person shooting stuff.

No FPS, no fighters, no flight sims... It's kind of dumb that they don't account for genres, nor do they have any categories for judging quality or impact.

I think this reads more like a "hipster's guide to games to put on t-shirts," than a list of games that were actually famous.

Also, I'd like to point out that some of these things we're games, in that they don't inherently have the element of win/lose outcomes (like the Sims, and minecraft, for example).

No FPS, no fighters, no flight sims... It's kind of dumb that they don't account for genres, nor do they have any categories for judging quality or impact.

I think this reads more like a "hipster's guide to games to put on t-shirts," than a list of games that were actually famous.

Also, I'd like to point out that some of these things we're games, in that they don't inherently have the element of win/lose outcomes (like the Sims, and minecraft, for example).

The have Doom so they definitely have an FPS ... it is a newly opening Hall of Fame ... it would kind of defeat the purpose if you put every candidate into the Hall the first year ... besides which gamers, like their comic breathren, all have favorite titles and genres ... unless a Hall of Fame opened with 1,000 titles on the list (and even that might not be enough for console, PC, and mobile) there is going to be a dispute on what was included and why

We gamers can't even agree on top 100 lists so there is no way a Hall of Fame will make everyone happy ... I like the idea and I hope they expand it over time ... games as an industry deserve the same focus as movies (they both make billions in revenue and they both have many creative people working to make their visions come to reality) ... I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and hope they expand into the areas others have proposed like including the talent, the developers, the musicians, and even the art ;)

It is sad that so many of the Hall of Fame worthy companies are no longer with us ... I am sure the strategy and RPG gamers miss SSI ... and as you noted the original Electronic Arts was an awesome company that offered us so much ... it is sad to see the modern company in comparison to the original one

That's because EA was taken over by short-sighted greedy assholes that have systematically bought up a lot of the greats, bastardized and rush-release the game sequels, forced a lot of game franchises that started on PC to be console games only, then killed the companies after a while.

Bullfrog
Westwood
Origin :(
NuFX
Pandemic
Black Box
Batteries Included
DreamWorks
Phenomic
PlayFish
Mythic
Maxis
Visceral
Dice
Criterion
BioWare

...many of the companies listed above deserve to be in a Gamer's Hall of Fame, but not with any recognition towards EA.

While I agree Quake should make the list one could argue that Doom made Quake possible and deserves to go in first.

We should ask Steve and Kyle to start an [H] Gaming Hall of Fame ... each month we could vote in one game, or one developer, or one technology, or one publisher ... it would make for some interesting voting and discussions each month ... since there are a lot of games to add we could also do one game plus one of the other three categories each month :D

We should ask Steve and Kyle to start an [H] Gaming Hall of Fame ... each month we could vote in one game, or one developer, or one technology, or one publisher ... it would make for some interesting voting and discussions each month ... since there are a lot of games to add we could also do one game plus one of the other three categories each month :D

We would all likely kill each other or get banned in the process of arguing about the first game.

We would all likely kill each other or get banned in the process of arguing about the first game.

See ... wouldn't that be fun :D ... by the way, it would of course have to be Zork or I would be forced to feed you all to Grues :p

Back