Worst game of the year

wow Far Cry getting so much h8.
Whats so bad about it?
Sure it looks like another generic single FPS with no innovation but damn

wow Far Cry getting so much h8.
Whats so bad about it?
Sure it looks like another generic single FPS with no innovation but damn

Faction system is worthless, can only accept one mission at a time, missions are the same thing over and over again, most of the time playing is spent driving, AI is horrible, and the only unit who does not shoot you on sight is your buddy meaning there are no NPCs to interact with outside of houses. I think that just about covers it, someone name off some more problems if I missed any.

Faction system is worthless, can only accept one mission at a time, missions are the same thing over and over again, most of the time playing is spent driving, AI is horrible, and the only unit who does not shoot you on sight is your buddy meaning there are no NPCs to interact with outside of houses. I think that just about covers it, someone name off some more problems if I missed any.

...And respawn timer for AI is too short, but all that still don't make it the worst game of 08 dammit. this, this or this are all games that in comparrison makes FC2 seem like Half-Life or Unreal Tournament. Come on now.

...And respawn timer for AI is too short, but all that still don't make it the worst game of 08 dammit. this, this or this are all games that in comparrison makes FC2 seem like Half-Life or Unreal Tournament. Come on now.

ok maybe Gothic is the worst, but FC2 still got worse user reviews than those other 2 games you mentioned.

GTA 4 should not be on this list at all. Failure of the year I would say imo is Fallout 3. Oblivion sucked ass and Fallout is Oblivion after a nuke hit Terasidil (or whatever it was called).

Far Cry 2 was pretty bad too.

seems to me we need a little clarification on "worst"

Like, worst as in worst/dollar or worst/hype? Or worst as in dissapointed the most people? Because if your just talking about the "worst" video game of 2008 I'm sure its something some nub programmer came up with in 20 mins and gave to his friends.

Farcry 2 had a great deal of hype around it. Seems to me Crytek doesn't have someone with a real vision for any of their games working for them, which in itself isn't always too bad a problem because if you just take your time and keep tinkering eventually you come up with a winner... but with EA as a producer Crytek never stood a chance (this is true for Crysis as well).

I am by no means a picky gamer. I have bought games many would consider sub-par (I even liked daikatana :p), but Far Cry 2 was as repetitive as Tetris without the replay value.

Vote goes to FC2. I really wanted to like this game :(

Farcry 2 had a great deal of hype around it. Seems to me Crytek doesn't have someone with a real vision for any of their games working for them, which in itself isn't always too bad a problem because if you just take your time and keep tinkering eventually you come up with a winner... but with EA as a producer Crytek never stood a chance (this is true for Crysis as well).

Far Cry 2 was made by Ubisoft.

Not one to use these terms but EPIC FAIL has to be said for that.

Far Cry 2 is my biggest letdown for a few reasons. It's not that it's such an awful game, just that the hype was enormous and the potential wasted.

It also has the dubious distinction in my life as the only game in 2008 that I paid full price for (and pre-orderdered through Gamstop for the extra missions).

The engine and gunplay works fine but they didn't make full use of the features. Oddly enough it's all the little things that they got wrong. You can't go prone or lean. They didn't include proper widescreen support. You can only take one mission at a time. The multiplayer browser is exactly the same as the console. Why not have dedicated server support like any other game?

I still played and enjoyed the game...I just wish it lived up to its potential. I honestly think with some relatively simple fixes it could have been a game of the year contender.

Honorable mention goes to CoD:WaW. It didn't win for me because they were kind enough to put out a multiplayer beta so bad that I had no choice but to stay far far away. I can't take a WW2 game seriously that doesn't have the most basic realism elements down. You can't scope a tommy gun. You can't silence a tommy gun. The Russians sure as shit would not have fielded a tommy gun. God damnit.

Ah, I'd have to throw my vote in with Spore. Not giving EA any more of my money after that disappointment.

Worst I played was definitely Spore.

Huh, this is kind of a long tutorial. Oh wait, this is the actual game. Well this is boring as fuck. Deleted!

I think I'll go for Spore -- it wasn't an awful game by any means, I just expected so much more, and other than the 'tech demo' aspect of the character creation/animations I didn't find any real enjoyment or depth in it. Like the above poster, it was just plain boring in a short period of time.

This is more of a "most disappointing" game of the year thread than a worst game of the year thread.

Since this is the PC-only section I'm going to hand the title off to the utterly disappointing GTA IV. I own it on Xbox360 and grew tired of it at the 25% completion mark. I could only imagine how much worse that would feel when it's not running properly on a very good PC.

Out of all the hyped titles this year:

Alone in the Dark.

If it's not your choice, odds are you didn't play it.

Far Cry 2 was disappointing, but the travel issue was fixed for me by using a trainer with a mark/recall function. I see a TON of potential with the game, and I really hope it sells well enough to spawn a sequel with the same concept....just fix all of the broken crap.

Of the games that I played I am going to have to vote for STALKER: Clear Sky. They managed to keep all of the worst parts of the original, while eliminating the positives. The game had the same broken ballistics, instability and the almost every map is the same. At least the original had some jumpy moments. Couple that with horrible performance. Horrible.

This is more of a "most disappointing" game of the year thread than a worst game of the year thread.

This. IMHO Far Cry 2 would have been much better off by actually cutting about half of the total gameplay, thus making it not feel as repititive. Spore was merely average.

I agree. Personally I've had more fun in FC2 than any other game released this year. It's different, it's flawed, it's not everyone's idea of fun, but it's not a bad game, no matter how much some people (fdiaz78) enjoy bashing it. I'm about 50% through my second play-through, taking it slow and steady, and it still works for me.

Assassin's Creed on the other hand... since this is the PC sub-forum I'll nominate that. I never even mustered the patience to finish it, so if I enjoy FC2 and some people think that's boring, it must say a lot. From what I remember it just sets itself up for a sequel anyway.

Iron Man?

I give Far Cry 2 the title of biggest disappointment of the year, but come on it's far from the worst game EVER.

I agree. People are forgetting movie games, and just focusing on the big name titles with overhyped expectations. Games like Iron Man or the Incredible Hulk are probably the worst. I'm just guessing and going by ratings since I wouldn't touch either with a 10' pole. Turning Point Fall of Liberty is another one that was suppose to suck really bad.

The worst game I tried was Flyboys Squadron.

The biggest disappointments were Far Cry 2, and Frontlines: Fuel of War. I actually had hope that they'd be great games.

I don't get all the hate for Far Cry 2, or especially Fallout 3.

I would give Clear Sky a vote due to being broken as hell within the first hour of play.

Clear Sky (and GTA4 especially) may have some bad bugs (although tbh I never encountered any game breaking glitches in CS and I played GTA4 way back when it came out on the 360) but at least they were fun to play. FC2 on the other hand (and I say this without any exaggeration) had the most stale, boring and repetitive gameplay of any game I ever played.

And yes, I know that there are some bad random obscure games released every year that may be even worse than FC2 *shudder*, but I wont nominate them. Simply because like 99% of the gaming public I've never heard of them or had any reason to play them.

But overhyped shit garbage games like FC2 and Spore deserve to be slammed for being horrible, especially when its apparent that all the major review sites were paid to praise them.

I'll chime in with the GTA IV hate. The only game I've enjoyed playing less was Bulletwitch, yeah. Bulletwitch.

At least with Bulletwitch there were free naughty costumes, and it was a $5 mistake, as opposed to the $60 abomination that was GTA IV.

I hated it so bad. Hated the controls, the driving, the lame ass cover system, the lack of mid-mission checkpoints, the being bothered by my asshole cousin, being bothered to go on dates, the way there was a predictable double cross every time you met a new set of characters, the way the AI that accompanied you on certain missions was dumb as a board, and on and on and on.

Even one of my friends who beat it bitched the entire time he played it. Everytime I asked he just complained about it ceaselessly. To the point where I asked why he kept playing it, and he was like "I bought it, I have to play it"

However, I did like cops and robbers mode online with friends, as well as the GTA Race mode.

I'll be renting the next one first for sure

I agree. People are forgetting movie games, and just focusing on the big name titles with overhyped expectations. Games like Iron Man or the Incredible Hulk are probably the worst. I'm just guessing and going by ratings since I wouldn't touch either with a 10' pole. Turning Point Fall of Liberty is another one that was suppose to suck really bad.

The worst game I tried was Flyboys Squadron.

The biggest disappointments were Far Cry 2, and Frontlines: Fuel of War. I actually had hope that they'd be great games.

I agree with you on FrontLines: Fuel of War I was really hoping it would have been a better game. I did finish it but I was hoping for more..

Note to Rockstar: I will not be purchasing GTAIV for my PC, unlike the fact that I bought all the other GTA's. I didn't mind waiting for the PC port like with the other GTA's but to put out what is an abomination of a port is a disgrace. They could have pushed the release to next May polished the game and it would have made another fortune.. I never bought the console versions because I don't play FPS on my Xbox360, car and Sports games only.. So Rockstar doesn't want my money fine they're not going to get it..

Back