Worth "downgrading" from a 2800+ to a lower rated Mobile CPU?

Benny Blanco said:
Now that's what I call a dilemma :p

If that stepping is known to give the absolute highest OC, then yes... but I'd first try to find results from people that have ordered that specific stepping from excaliber, and see if that's what they received, and the results they got.

I just looked over the reviews at newegg for the 2600 and a lot of people posted that they received that IQYHA stepping

From what I've seen IQYHA is the optimal stepping. Can anyone help me verify this? Thanks.

Without the guarantee I could easily get a crappy processor that can barely be OCed. Ten bucks isn't the end of the world, but I'd rather not spend it if it wasn't necessary.

Why does it matter? The wire mod gives me multis <12.5 on my T-bred b 2400+. At FSB speeds >200, one would be quite lucky to run into a limit requireing a multiplier < 12.5. IMO, the real point of the mobile chips are the overclocking headroom, not the lack of lock.

He has PC2700 RAM.

I would say change the multiplier in the BIOS by 0.5 and see if it takes. That's how you'll know if it's unlocked. You can either raise or lower it, doesnt matter, just to see if it's unlocked. Run CPUID or CPU-Z to verify.

Benny Blanco said:
He has PC2700 RAM.

I would say change the multiplier in the BIOS by 0.5 and see if it takes. That's how you'll know if it's unlocked. You can either raise or lower it, doesnt matter, just to see if it's unlocked. Run CPUID or CPU-Z to verify.

I'll have to do that when I get home. I'm at work right now. Maybe I can OC my laptop... :D

ShepsCrook said:
Don't OC your laptop, it's not the smartest thing to do.

Yeah, that was a joke. This is a work machine. I doubt they'd be happy if I burned up the CPU. ;)

I don't get it ... yo have a fully functional 2800+ system, then you bought watercooling gear ... and want to spend more money to change the processor so you can overclock?? :confused:

Why not OC the hell out the 2800+? Or since you have the money ... buy the fastest processor so you don't have to OC?

I thought the point of OCing is to get as much performance from your current rig as possible? :confused:

primea said:
I don't get it ... yo have a fully functional 2800+ system, then you bought watercooling gear ... and want to spend more money to change the processor so you can overclock?? :confused:

Why not OC the hell out the 2800+? Or since you have the money ... buy the fastest processor so you don't have to OC?

I thought the point of OCing is to get as much performance from your current rig as possible? :confused:

This is true. From what I understand, the Mobile 2600s are capable of OCing above my current 2800. I'll also be more limited by my PC2700 RAM than I would with a Mobile 2600.

And besides, it's a whole new toy to play with! :D Even if it doesn't give me HUGE OC speeds it's still something to play with.

Besides, it's not like I'm throwing my 2800 away. I'm selling it, so the Mobile 2600 won't cost me much at all in the end. Very little really.

If you have your watercooling, I would suggest trying to overclock the 2800 first and see what it can do. If it doesn't do shit, then I would go for the mobile. For all you know, you may have the best 2800 ever made.

Benny Blanco said:
primea did you read anything after the first post? :rolleyes:

:D Guilty... I was working on a stubborn program, and I browsed the forum for a little break ... I guess I just answered the first post ... :D

well primea at least you came clean... you are forgiven :p

as far as trying to OC the 2800, we suggested that, but if it's locked, he won't get very far at all since he also has only PC2700 RAM. He said he'd try it out tonight and see if it's locked or not. If it's unlocked and can hit 2.4ghz, I'd say he should forget the XP-M.

Benny Blanco said:
well primea at least you came clean... you are forgiven :p

as far as trying to OC the 2800, we suggested that, but if it's locked, he won't get very far at all since he also has only PC2700 RAM. He said he'd try it out tonight and see if it's locked or not. If it's unlocked and can hit 2.4ghz, I'd say he should forget the XP-M.

I dropped the multiplier down to 12.0 and it showed up in CPUZ so I guess it is unlocked. I'd hang onto it and play with it a bit, but I posted it in the FS section and already have a buyer. I'm just waiting for him to send my moneys via paypal and it'll be a done deal.

I sorta wish I had hung onto it so that I could test it under my soon to be watercooled setup, but my need for a new toy won over. Ah well, I'm not worried about it. Even at stock speeds the 2600 looks like a mighty fine chip...though I seriously doubt I'll run it at stock speeds for very long. :D

I think you'll be happy with the new chip. I know I love mine. My 2500 Barton could run at 3200 speeds, but the Mobile I have no does them without even blinking.

That and it's much quieter now because with the 2500 I had to have a Vantec Tornado pounding air onto it, now I just have a quiet Zalman on there.

ShepsCrook said:
I think you'll be happy with the new chip. I know I love mine. My 2500 Barton could run at 3200 speeds, but the Mobile I have no does them without even blinking.

That and it's much quieter now because with the 2500 I had to have a Vantec Tornado pounding air onto it, now I just have a quiet Zalman on there.

I'm sure I'll be happy. After all, there are only very small differences in the specs between the Mobile 2600+ and the 2800+. The 2600 is rated at 2GHz and 266 FSB while the 2800 is rated at 2.08GHz and 333 FSB. With the FSB cranked up the 2600 should easily outpace the 2800, so it should be well worth it. Well, we shall see.

Benny Blanco said:
Bah. I think I'd say sorry to the buyer and keep the chip you already own :p

Well, to each his own. I've already gotten the payment for the processor, so it's a done deal. I just need to ship it. That and my order for a Mobile 2600+ is already being processed by newegg.

Back