Worth upgrading old haswell rig CPU?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I have an aging haswell machine that was repurposed to a CAD & other general “work” workstation/rendering/Virtual Machine/server (and light gaming), from a gaming box.

It’s using an Intel 4770 (non-k) and recently upgraded the RAM from 8gb to 16gb. I’m also swapping the GPU from an Rx480 to a Vega64 to help drive my freesync monitor (3440x1440) as soon as it arrives.

With those upgrades in mind, I’m wondering if id see any real tangible benefit to upgrading the cpu to a K chip, and do some overclocking? I know that it doesn’t support -vt so that may screw with my VM performance though.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
the 4790K supports vt-x, vt-x EPT and vt-d so you will be fine in that department, as the machine isn't for gaming, any task related to CPU will receive a noticeable bump in performance by the boost clock itself, as it clocks 500mhz higher than the 4770, those chips overclock relatively easy to 4.7ghz so I can certainly ensure 1Ghz difference will be highly noticeable in the case scenario you are planing to use that machine, around 25% bump in performance, so to me it's a difference that worth the change.

the 4790K supports vt-x, vt-x EPT and vt-d so you will be fine in that department, as the machine isn't for gaming, any task related to CPU will receive a noticeable bump in performance by the boost clock itself, as it clocks 500mhz higher than the 4770, those chips overclock relatively easy to 4.7ghz so I can certainly ensure 1Ghz difference will be highly noticeable in the case scenario you are planing to use that machine, around 25% bump in performance, so to me it's a difference that worth the change.

I didn’t know that CPU supported the VM features! Thanks for the heads up, it seems like a no brainer now.

Now I just need to find a used 4790k at a decent price

Back