Worth waiting?

All I need to complete my system is processor, I have an Abit IP35 Pro, OCZ DDR2 Ram,8800GT etc... but haven't bought the processor yet because I've been holding off to see what comes in January. Now I am thinking about picking up a q6600 from CompUSA during the next price drop currently they are 250 bucks and they have 20 in stock so I figure next price drop they will be between 200-225 but if there is a nice increase in performance from the q6600 to the newer 45nm quad for not to much difference in price I would like to wait it out. I haven't seen any comparisons of the q6600 with the new generation processors yet so it's hard to make an informed decision at this point. What do you all think?

Personally I would go for the Go Q6600. I wonder how much the new processors will be in price/performance dollar and I HATE getting stuck in a cycle waiting for the next thing to come out.

Personally I would go for the Go Q6600. I wonder how much the new processors will be in price/performance dollar and I HATE getting stuck in a cycle waiting for the next thing to come out.

Agree 100%. While you are waiting, all your other amazing gear is getting obsolete by the day.

I'm in a similar boat- The Q6600 is a great seal NOW. THe 9450 is still off in the future with a TBD, maybe Q1 08 release.

I'm finishing a build very soon (I'm on a 5 year cycle!) and I want to hold out for the 9450, but I might not be able to. I might end up with the Q6600 instead.

Yea, I saw that they pushed back the release date for the Penryn Quads so I went ahead and picked up a q6600 from CompUSA today, got to go through all the ones they had and found a G0 L737 so had to take it LOL Now I need to find some AS5 somewhere so I can start putting togethor my system. Hopefully I can find it locally.

Not only have the mainstream Penryns been pushed back to March, but from what it looks like, they won't OC any better than a G0 Q6600 on currently available motherboards.

While the OC potential of the processor itself has been confirmed to be out-of-this-world so to speak, the issue, and the kink perhaps in everyone's plans with Penryn, is that the Q6600 replacement, the Q9450, ships with a lower multiplier (x8 vs x9) and a higher default FSB (133mhz vs 1066mhz.) This is a problem because in order to OC a Penryn to good Q6600 levels (3.6ghz with good air,) you will need to run a 450mhz FSB instead of a 400mhz FSB, and 450mhz is about the max a good P35 or X38 board will do with a quad. In order to get to 4ghz, as many people are hoping to do, you will need to run a 500mhz FSB, which no currently available motherboard can do--with the exception of a very carefully and thoroughly tweaked X-38 board. As such, one will likely need to upgrade to a as-of-yet unreleased 1600mhz board if they want to a 4ghz mainstream Penryn. Unfortunately, the only two chipsets supporting the 1600mhz (400mhz base) native FSB are the x48 and the 790i, and they've similarly been delayed several months. Perhaps more unfortunately, both chipsets will likely be included only on boards requiring very-expensive DDR3 RAM.

Mark.

This delay kinda pisses me off...

I got money to buy a Q6600, mobo, and 4G of ram, but was originallly going to wait for penryn, and if I could buy it..t hen I would, and if not, the Q6600 would have fallen in price. Now with the delay, I can expect NO price drop on the Q6600, and my Comp USA's around me have run out of the Q6600. BOOOOO Intel

Back