Worthwhile to upgrade from UltraSharp 2408WFP?

Helix141

n00b
Long time lurker, first time poster here..

I had a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP that I picked up about a year ago, and it's been pretty decent, but looking at some of the reviews here, I guess there's some issues with it that i didn't know about.

So, question #1, is it worthwhile for me to upgrade to a different $600-1000 24" screen, will I notice a definite difference between the Dell, and say, one of the BenQ's everyone is raving about? If so, what screen?

Or, question #2, will be money be better spent on a bigger upgrade to a larger screen, maybe a 32" sharp or panny lcd TV and just using that as a screen? Again, any recommendations?

Keep in mind, it's used mostly for gaming, graphics, browsing etc. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciate.

If you haven't noticed the issues with the 2408wfp yourself... why bother with upgrading based on other people's complaints?

As for recommendations if you decide to upgrade, not entirely sure, facing a similar dilemma

Using LCD TVs as a computer display is not ideal for desktop setups. I understand hooking it up once in a while for movies or games like guitar hero but the screens are just too big w/ too small of resolutions.

30" 2560x monitors are nicer than the biggest of HDTVs out there for computer use.

If you haven't noticed the issues with the 2408wfp yourself... why bother with upgrading based on other people's complaints?

Well, i was pretty happy, but seeing some of the issues that people were talking about, i was wondering if i was missing out on a massive improvement that would happen from getting a BenQ or similar.

Kinda like you don't know how good a top of the line video card could be because you're using something 4-5 years old but are 'happy' with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep enjoying your 2408WFP.

It's a solid monitor in a number of ways, so why not just be happy with it? If the text is sharp enough, the gaming fun/fast enough, and the colors vibrant enough, why change it?

Using a 1080p TV is not always the best thing to do. TVs are calibrated to enhance video images and NTSC HD output, not necessarily computer graphics and images. The Dell will still be a better monitor than at least 75% of the TVs out there in a number of ways.

And you might end up with a sore neck because of it, turning your head back and forth, left and right, etc.... just to surf the 'net.

Many users here are extremely picky (which is a good thing) but it doesn't mean that you should become unhappy with your purchases due to their requirements.

Well, i was pretty happy, but seeing some of the issues that people were talking about, i was wondering if i was missing out on a massive improvement that would happen from getting a BenQ or similar.

Kinda like you don't know how good a top of the line video card could be because you're using something 4-5 years old but are 'happy' with it.

As others have stated, since you did not notice anything wrong with your Dell 2408WFP, then there is no point in upgrading.

You also need to realize that LCD monitors are not perfect. If you upgrade to another monitor, then that particular monitor may have a "flaw" that did not exist in the Dell. Unless there is something about the Dell that is definitely bothering you (and something that you can notice), you will be wasting your money.

Back